5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 11:54 AM by Bill Lyons

Where are Tableau Server user favorites stored?

Bill Lyons

With the addition of the new readonly user, I was hoping to be able to find a table where users' favorite views where stored in the Tableau Server PostgreSQL database. Since I set some favorites on my iPad, and they show up in my desktop browser, I'm relatively sure they must be stored in the database. I have searched the KnowledgeBase, forums, and several tables and views in the database, and so far I haven't found anything that looks like Favorites. Anybody have any tips? Have I missed the obvious?

• 1. Re: Where are Tableau Server user favorites stored?
          Bill Lyons

Tableau Support directed me to the asset_list_items table. This enabled my to build the following join in the data connection:

favorites join.gif

I hope this helps others.

bl

• 2. Re: Where are Tableau Server user favorites stored?
            Donna Coles

FYI  - not sure if this is a bug or by design, but since the v9 upgrade I've noticed the following issues with the asset_list_items table, that may affect your usage of it

1) a user can have multiple entries in the asset_list_items table at the same position, so if you're reliant on listing favourites based on this position you might get odd behaviour.  I've worked around this using a row_number over() concept in my query to generate an index no per row

2) the usedobj_url field doesn't seem to be populating anymore.  We used this to provide the url for a user to link to the report.  I've worked around this by joining the useable_id field to the views or the workbooks table based on the value of the useable_type field, and then getting the url from the relevant repository_url field.

I haven't logged this officially with Tableau Support, but if anyone wants to confirm the bug/by design decision then that would satisfy my curiosity.

• 3. Re: Where are Tableau Server user favorites stored?
              Bill Lyons

When working with these tables it is important to note statements like this: "...many of the tables are intended primarily to support the functioning of Tableau Server and may be changed or removed without warning. This means that views created from these tables can break when the database structure is changed." This can be found here, and elsewhere.

I read this as, "Usage of this is unsupported. If something changes and breaks your stuff, deal with it." I'm just glad we have access so we can deal with it; prior to 8.2.5 we could not.

• 4. Re: Where are Tableau Server user favorites stored?
                Donna Coles

Absolutley Bill.  I'm completely on board with that and the statements. I just wanted to highlight such a change that a) may affected your use, and b) may have been an change introdufed unintentionally that the Tableau team may not be aware of.

• 5. Re: Where are Tableau Server user favorites stored?
                  Bill Lyons

And that is appreciated - always good to have an alert that something might have broken that we hadn't noticed. Thanks!