3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2014 9:22 AM by brad.earle.1

percentage difference in text table

anya.ziskina

Hi there, I created a basic text table in Tableau connecting to GA showing: sessions, bounce rate% and ave pageviews one column for oct and one for nov 2. I would like to add another column into the text table and show the percentage difference month on
      month. Is there a way to do this within the text table without creating new calculated fields?

• 1. Re: percentage difference in text table
          brad.earle.1

What you describe are the measure names being shown as line items and a month date dimension as columns.  What you'd like to do is to calculate the % change for each measure.

Copy the sheet, then change all the measures to a quick table calculation using the Year over Year Growth (don't be fooled by the name, it is just column over column calculation and will look to the two columns that you have identified for calculating the growth %).  Hide the first date on the second sheet so the column doesn't show.  Then move the two sheets side by side within a dashboard so that the rows line up.  Be sure that any filters apply to both sheets.  Your result should look something like this (which can be cleaned up further):

Capture.JPG

• 2. Re: percentage difference in text table
            anya.ziskina

Thanks Brad,  I folllowed the above steps, is there way to get rid of the title in the % change column (in your example last column title 'June') and how to get rid of line measure names shown as line items next to the % change on the new sheet, so that i can line up 2 sheets in a dashboard?

Thanks for your help

• 3. Re: percentage difference in text table
              brad.earle.1

As you likely noticed, the dashboard above does have the rows aligned.  But your next question is to get rid of the titles in sheet 2 while still maintaining alignment with the rows in Sheet1.  I then used an empty parameter with the same value as filler after choosing not to show the header for the duplicate date field.

Capture.JPG