1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 9:37 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Workbook Refresh Using an Unpublished TDE

Ruben C

Hi everyone,

First some background followed by a question.

I have a workbook that is published to several sites on the same Tableau host. Prior to publishing the workbook, the TDE is created where the underlying SQL produces NO data, so all reports and filters are blank. On a dashboard only the titles of the reports are shown. Each site uses a subset of data from the source that's specific to the site.  This is solely for security reasons.  We don't want the risk exposing data that doesn't belong with the users for another Tableau site.

The TDE file isn't published to the host.  Only the workbook is published.  We have a job that runs every 30 minutes, and refreshes the data on each site's workbook.

While testing the refresh job for a specific site, we manually refreshed the site's url in a browser.  A few seconds later the dashboard cleared. No data, no graphs, no filter values.  After the job completed we had to wait about 15 seconds before the dashboard looked normal, with graphs, data, and filters.

The question is during the refresh of a workbook that's using an unpublished TDE, is the server pulling the data from the original TDE that's stored in a file folder?

We also found that when the workbook is open in the designer, an attempt to delete the TDE using the menu option, fails.  The error is shown stating something about the file is in use and can't be deleted.  It's as if another process is using the file, and we are certain no other designer session has the workbook open.

My goal is to prevent the clearing of the dashboards during the workbook refresh.  It's raised too many questions from our Tableau users.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Workbook Refresh Using an Unpublished TDE
          Shawn Wallwork

Ruben I'm only a junior Tableau Server Administrator, but it sounds to me like you're going the long way around for a security solution that may already exist in the software. But to answer your first question:

The question is during the refresh of a workbook that's using an unpublished TDE, is the server pulling the data from the original TDE that's stored in a file folder?

Probably. I say probably because there are other factors at play. For instance if you publish a packaged workbook to the Server, then it would NOT be refreshing from the original file. Here's an excellent post about what lives where, and how it is refreshed:

O Extract, Where Art Thou? | Drawing with Numbers

Finally, I think you'll get more specific help if you move this over to the Server Admin Community:

Server Administration

Good luck,

--Shawn