8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 9:11 PM by Rishabh Dhingra

Prompt User - Save Password

Rishabh Dhingra

In my workbook, I am using Prompt User Data Source Authentication mode. The user gets a prompt to enter the credentials to connect to the data source and I can see there is a check box for 'Remember My Password' there. I have checked this option along with the Saved Password option available on Tableau Server admin page.

Tableau Server remembers the credentials for the current session only and when the user logs out and tries to access the view after logging back again, it again prompts for the credentials. I was under the assumption that if I have checked the Save Password option, Tableau Server would remember the password for that user and not only for that session. It would be great if someone can help me with this?

Also, if someone can confirm that if the session get routed to a different worker server, then would it trigger a re-log in window again?

Thanks,

Rishabh

• 1. Re: Prompt User - Save Password
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Rishabh Dhingra

Moving to Tableau Server Administration forums where a answer is more likely to be created. 

I believe the Prompt User Data Source Authentication mode will always cause the prompt to appear.  My understanding is that Tableau Server only stores authentication within the data connection on publish of the workbook. 

Patrick

• 2. Re: Prompt User - Save Password
            Toby Erkson

So it seems you have two questions:

1. "I was under the assumption that if I have checked the Save Password option, Tableau Server would remember the password for that user and not only for that session."

2.  "Also, if someone can confirm that if the session get routed to a different worker server, then would it trigger a re-log in window again?"

#1:  Not a correct assumption, though I do understand such logic makes sense because of how browsers work on secure sites.  My question to you would be:  Why do you not select Embedded Password when you publish the report if that is the functionality you want (auto-login to the data source)?

#2:  No idea but good question.

• 3. Re: Prompt User - Save Password
              Nick Bachofen

Our company uses live connections that require the user to authenticate individually to the data source so the proper security controls can be applied. Your assumption that Save password is correct, but.....

Which version of Server are you on? When we upgraded to 8.2.2 we encountered a bug in the system which I don't know has been fixed in the recent versions.

A work around exists, if we also selected the option "Save Access Tokens" it suddenly would work.

Please try that and let us know the results.

• 4. Re: Prompt User - Save Password
                Nick Bachofen

I don't agree with the statement the assumption is wrong....from the Server Administration screen next to Enable Save Passwords "Allows users to save data source passwords across multiple visits and browsers".

• 5. Re: Prompt User - Save Password
                  Rishabh Dhingra

Hi Toby,

My data source is SSAS and I have created security roles in SSAS to control the data access. Therefore, I want to leverage this security in Tableau , hence I am using Prompt user authentication mode rather than Embedded password as in case of embedded password it will use the embedded credentials to connect to SSAS.

• 6. Re: Prompt User - Save Password
                    Rishabh Dhingra

Thanks for your help Nick, I shall give it a try and will let you know.

The good news for us is we are now moving to 8.3 version which is capable of Kerberos authentication , therefore I am planning to use that now rather than Prompt User. However, it is worth giving a try on version 8.2 .

Thanks,

Rishabh

• 7. Re: Prompt User - Save Password
                      Toby Erkson

Rishabh Dhingra wrote:

My data source is SSAS and I have created security roles in SSAS to control the data access. Therefore, I want to leverage this security in Tableau , hence I am using Prompt user authentication mode rather than Embedded password as in case of embedded password it will use the embedded credentials to connect to SSAS.

Ah, good to know.  Sounds like a reasonable request.  If 8.3 works using Kerberos for you please let us know.

• 8. Re: Prompt User - Save Password
                        Rishabh Dhingra

Sure Toby. I will be starting with the process of setting up Kerberos authentication using 8.3 and will let you know it that works.