8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2015 6:41 PM by Mike Roberts

Tableau Server Admin Library - Code on Github

Mike Roberts

Here's a set of resources we're working on submitting from the Pluralsight Data Team. Most are on our Github repo so feel free to pull them down and amend/add, etc:

https://github.com/ps-data/ps-analytics-public

What you'll see there includes (but is growing every week):

• Can I somehow archive my most valuable workbooks and, at the same time, have version control?
      • Can I be notified immediately when my extract fails (or succeeds)?
      • Can I remove older workbooks (and archive them) from Tableau Server and, simultaneously, email the owner?
      • What calculations (or fields) are in my Tableau workbooks? And how do I grab the actual formula being used?
      • For HA and Tableau Server, how do I ensure the proper folders are synced?
      • Can I take daily snapshots of Tableau Server’s database to do some analysis on workbook usage?  For example, if I want to know how my published workbook performs over time (or how many views its received), this will allow for that.
      • Can I take daily snapshots of Tableau Server’s database to do some analysis on user logins?
      • Can I take daily snapshots of Tableau Server’s database to do some analysis on datasource usage?
      • How do I add a ‘maintenance’ message to notify users of a forthcoming Server restart and/or upgrade?
      • How do I trigger an extract based off of a database table being refreshed instead of relying on Tableau’s schedules?
      • Can I automatically add users via the REST API instead of manually adding them?
      • How can I schedule automatic backups and sync the ‘.tsbak’ file with AWS?
      • Please tell me how I can find out what users/groups have what permissions on my workbooks.

Our latest resource lets you use a Google spreadsheet to add/remove users with Local Authentication (not AD). Details are here: Provision Tableau Server Users - Google Docs

If anyone is interested in the full details on how to customize the above resource (or any of them) for your environment, let us know and we'll be happy to help.

We're excited this Admin community is here so we can share all this with the Tableau team! 

Enjoy!

cc: Ben Sullins