2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2014 6:01 PM by Eric Xu

Deploy tabadmin and tabcmd without installing Tableau Server

Eric Xu

Is it possible to deploy Tabcmd and Tabadmin to manipulate Tableau Server from another machine that does not have Tableau Server installed? We are trying to do some automation based on the command lines and it will help us a lot if this is possible.

• 1. Re: Deploy tabadmin and tabcmd without installing Tableau Server
          Michel Roberge

TabCmd can be deployed using TabCmdInstaller, which is available in the "Extras" folder on your Tableau Server installation. This is an installation package and its purpose is to be installed on your "application server" - or wherever you want to be able to run TabCmd from.

TabAdmin cannot be deployed as fas as I know - for security reasons I believe. But you do not really need it, really. If you really want to do this kind of task remotely, I'd recommend you to build a small web service or app you host on your Tableau server that does these things.

With v9.0; the new REST API will remove the need of these command-line API (at least, it will cover most of TabCmd). Maybe this will make your need for this unnecessary?

• 2. Re: Deploy tabadmin and tabcmd without installing Tableau Server
            Eric Xu

Thanks Michel. It will help a lot. And I really like this discussion

community.

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 9:23 PM, Michel Roberge <