1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2014 9:55 AM by Toby Erkson Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
        Lucas Brito

Toby Erkson, The specified item was not found. and Ken Patton.

Thank you for all of the responses so far.

I would like to review the facts to make sure i am on the same page with all of you.

1. In order for the REST API to work, I must have access to the tableau server administrator account. It is used to login and make the sequential calls using the API. I am NOT able to use the API with only a SITE admin account.

2. There can only be one server administrator account at a time on a server.

3. Since our server uses the multi-tenant approach, if I were given the server administrator account privilege, i would gain access to all sites that reside on the server.

4. There is no such thing as "system admin" for just a site. (this would allow me to use the API and only have access to my site info).

Are any of these points incorrect?

Thank you

• 16. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
          Toby Erkson

Lucas Brito wrote:...

I would like to review the facts to make sure i am on the same page with all of you.

3. Since our server uses the multi-tenant approach, if I were given the server administrator account privilege, i would gain access to all sites that reside on the server.

Are any of these points incorrect?

Every thing sounds correct except I'm not sure about #3.  I have two Sites on my Server, Default and Administration.  I have a couple Site and System admins in Default.  When I switch over to Administration only I am present (since I'm the one who created it).  It would appear that I have to add people to the Administration site to give them appropriate access.  My team members are in meetings so I can't test but this situation seems odd.  Gonna have to see what info is in the manual...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 17. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
            Lucas Brito

Hi Toby,

Thanks for the reply.

You said you have a couple Site and System admins in Default.

I know how to give site admin privilege to multiple users on a site, but I have not found how to give system admin privilege to more than one user (i can only set this at installation, or change the account through tabcmd, but again only applying it to one account).

Did I misunderstand your response?

• 18. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
              Ken Patton

That's odd. I have assigned System Administrator rights to multiple users without any issue at all.    To do so, you have to be a System Administrator yourself, and work from the Admin -> All Users page, rather than the Admin -> Site Users page.

If it still doesn't work, then maybe it's a licensing thing??

• 19. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                Lucas Brito

Ok, so I am finally able to add the system administrator right to multiple users. The issue now is that once the user gets that right, he is able to see all of the sites in my multi-tenant server. And I would like him to only be able to visualize one. Is that possible?

Once again, the reason we are trying to do this is so we can use the rest api on a server that is not controlled by our team, and the it group that manages it does not want to give out the system admin account since it would make other sites visible that we should not be allowed to see..

• 20. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                  Toby Erkson

Lucas Brito wrote:

Ok, so I am finally able to add the system administrator right to multiple users. The issue now is that once the user gets that right, he is able to see all of the sites in my multi-tenant server.

Correct.  My experimentation validates this.

Lucas Brito wrote:

And I would like him to only be able to visualize one. Is that possible?

It doesn't look like that is possible.

• 21. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                    Lucas Brito

Awesome, I believe i found my answer, even though it was exactly what i hoped it to be...

Thank you for all the help

• 22. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                      Toby Erkson

Lucas Brito wrote:

Once again, the reason we are trying to do this is so we can use the rest api on a server that is not controlled by our team, and the it group that manages it does not want to give out the system admin account since it would make other sites visible that we should not be allowed to see..

Well, I disagree that the server is being controlled by some other team.  This just slows things down and is not what Tableau had envisioned (in my opinion, that is).  It's just IT slowing things down once again when they don't need to be involved.  Uhg!  Very frustrating!!  So, if they don't want to play nice then give them your requirements and have THEM create the REST API program you need

Well, before I throw too much hate onto IT, what is it you're trying to do regarding the REST API?  Nevermind, you explained why in the beginning.

• 23. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                        Lucas Brito

Your post made me laugh. hahaha

Basically we have a custom built tool which is embedding Tableau as one of its components. Business wants each and every single user of the application to be able to modify and save custom reports into custom folders that need to be created for each user. For that to happen, we had to disable the guest account so we could make sure that if the user is not yet in tableau server, he should not be able to visualize anything. So this is what we need to do.

1. Use credentials provided in the application and create that user in tableau server.

2. Create a custom folder for each specific user in tableau server so they can "Save As" to that folder only.

3. Assign permissions to the newly created folder so we can ensure that only the user can save to his own folder and no one else, since we cannot expose all the data to all the users.

Based on our research, points 1 and 2 can be done automatically with the REST API, but not 3 as of yet. So we are trying to automate as much as we can at this point...

• 24. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                          Toby Erkson

Wow, sounds like a cool undertaking.  Hopefully version 9 will have an improved API.  I have an Idea out there requesting this be done (increase functionality of REST and TABCMD).

Here it is:  http://community.tableau.com/ideas/3867

1 2 Previous Next