1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2014 9:55 AM by Toby Erkson

Add users automatically to tableau server

Lucas Brito

We embedded tableau server into a custom application we are developing.

We have a core-server and would like to disable the guest account so every user that each user that logs in can have the ability to edit reports and save custom copies. Without the guest account, it would be perfect if we could add users to the server automatically, taking the login credentials from the application that the report is embedded in.

I know this can be done using the REST API, but unfortunately we do not have access to the system account information that is needed for the initial call of the API.

Is there another method of doing so?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server

Hey Lucas,

Two things:

1. I moved this to our new Tableau Server Administration section of the site where hopefully other users have a bit more knowledge about your request.

2. The only way I can think of, to automatically add users, is to do so by way of a .csv file as described here:

Using Tabcmd to Mass Import Tableau Server Users | Tableau Software

I hope this helps!

Diego

• 2. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
            Jeff Strauss

we do it by using the REST API if users need to be added as part of setting up the user as part of the application.  The other option is to read the app database, gather up the list of users into an exportable list, and then use the TABCMD CREATESITEUSERS.  We do this in other instances and run it in a batch mode.

• 3. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
              Ken Patton

Are there an infinite number of possible users? Are you using Active Directory or local authentication only?

• 4. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                Jeff Strauss

Infinite is a strong word.  We add users where applicable.  The rest api is for our portal app for external clients as part of provisioning new clients.  the batch tabcmd stuff is for new employees added into AD.  We don't use local auth.

• 5. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                  Lucas Brito

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. To give you some more background on what we are trying to do, we would like to automate the process of adding users to a site, as well as creating a custom project for each new user. This would allow each user to edit and save their own version of the embedded report into their custom personal folder.

We currently use AD authentication and our user base is expected to be around 2500 users on the site. There will be new users joining the application after it is launched, and we would like to automate the process so we don't need to manually add permission on the server everytime someone new joins...

The reason we cannot use the REST api is that we only have a site on a multi-tenant server, and the server admin is not willing to provide his credentials (necessary to login into the server for the rest api) because of security issues, as we would have access to information on all other sites.

• 6. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                    Ken Patton

Fair enough. But how large, in the worst case, is the entire AD tree? I sync to an AD tree containing many tens of thousands of users. And no, I am not making this up.

• 7. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                      Ken Patton

Are you concerned about having the entire ~2500-user AD tree synched on your Site? Are you being charged per user?

If it is a Core Server, I would just sync the entire tree and move on. It's a lot easier than trying to script something dynamic.

• 8. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                        Lucas Brito

Ken, you are right. We pay by the number of users and we have tens of thousands in the AD.

Like I said, not only we would like to add the users automatically, but also create a project for every new user added, also automatically. These two action items would make the magic complete for us...

We know all this can be done via the Rest API, but that is not an option for us...

• 9. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                          Ken Patton

Okay, well as for adding users in this scenario  (and if there are going to be more than a couple hundred of them, the math may favor going to a Core Licensed Server over a Named User Licensed Server, but that's a different discussion), you only have options based on tabcmd CLI.

We do most of our scripting in perl, and calling tabcmd.exe from that.  If your users are arriving one at a time then a dynamically constructed tabcmd string for that userid would be sufficient. To do batch adds, you'd have to create a .csv first, then feed that to tabcmd.  I used to have a script that did that, but at the moment I cannot find it.

If it were me, I'd probably sync the whole AD tree still, just bring 'em all in as Unlicensed. (You should not be charged unless and until an actual License is activated.) That would not necessarily save you a step, but might make the step simpler and faster (assigning a license rather than waiting for a userid to get created.)

And don't take this the wrong way, but I'd be a little bit nervous about proliferating a large numbers of Projects on purpose. Who's going to manage all those Project permissions? Do your users have Tableau Desktop? They can still save their own custom Views without having to all live in different Projects.  Are you thinking Web Edit?

Either way, tabcmd is the only game left in town.

• 10. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                            Jeff Strauss

Yeah, it sounds a bit offbeat to create a project for each individual user.

I'm not concerned about having 2500 users within the system.  At this point, our deployment has about 2300, we are on a core license.

And by the way, it's more difficult to sync by pointing at the top of the tree "Domain users", Tableau doesn't seem highly "choose your own word" about knowing how to recursively read AD.  Therefore I had to create a script with ldapsearch in order to gather up the users that I wanted and then I compare this against the list of defined users that I have within Tableau server already and only add the ones that are seen as new.

• 11. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                              Toby Erkson

Lucas Brito wrote:

The reason we cannot use the REST api is that we only have a site on a multi-tenant server, and the server admin is not willing to provide his credentials (necessary to login into the server for the rest api) because of security issues, as we would have access to information on all other sites.

Since AD is being used for authentication could a service account be created for YOUR purposes?  It would allow you the rights you need to your part of the server without having access to all.

I agree about above concerns regarding Projects.  I'm guessing security isn't an issue or the number of Groups you place people in a small.

• 12. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                                Jeff Strauss

ah that's a good point about a separate service account.  This is exactly what we did for our app team to leverage the Rest API.

• 13. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                                  Lucas Brito

Hi Toby,

Thanks for the suggestion. But doesn't Tableau Server only have one server administrator account at a time?

Our hosted server already has an account, so would we still be able to use the new service account created?

• 14. Re: Add users automatically to tableau server
                                    Toby Erkson

Correct, only one "Run As" account.  Have your account credentials updated or use a new one.

1 2 Previous Next