4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2014 12:32 PM by Matt Lutton

Creating a local packaged workbook after publishing to Server

Peter Baumgartner

Hello,

I'm trying to make a local copy of a packed Tableau workbook that does not require a connection to the Tableau Server to open. For training purposes I need a group of about 20 people, that do not have Server access, to download and open a workbook I've created and have already published to Tableau Server.

When I save as packaged workbook after publishing, it asks me to log into the Tableau server before I open the file. This is fine for me, but it will not work for the group I have to use the packaged workbook with.

What's the correct way to save an isolated local copy of a packaged workbook that does not require a connection to the server to open and use the data source?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Creating a local packaged workbook after publishing to Server
          Matt Lutton

Have you tried cancelling at the login screen?   Its difficult to troubleshoot problems like this without seeing what you mean, but you may just be able to cancel the login screen and just save the TWBX without being logged into Server.

Also, you don't have any user filters in place that you want to be respected, right?  These only work when logged into Server, which is why I mention them here.

Also, what is your data source?  If you're connecting to a Published Data Source on Tableau Server, then the connection requires being logged into Server.  But I doubt that's the issue, you're likely just seeing the login screen because you just downloaded the workbook from your Server.  I'm thinking a "Cancel" and "Save As" will be all you need to do here.

• 2. Re: Creating a local packaged workbook after publishing to Server
            Grayson Deal

What you need to do is create a local copy of the data source (right click data source name and towards the bottom create a local copy) then replace the data source and close the one that is connected to the server. Then you can export the packaged workbook and have no problem with the login screen showing up. (at least this worked for me)

Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG

• 3. Re: Creating a local packaged workbook after publishing to Server
              Peter Baumgartner

Thank you Matthew. Your solution surrounding the User Filters was actually what I needed. I removed the User Filters from the workbook, saved as a packaged workbook, and I'm able to open that new packaged workbook without the server login window occurring first.

I did try canceling as well on the original file, but that causes none of the worksheets to display any information.

The workbook was one I created locally, then published to the server. I used an extract to get the data from an excel spreadsheet. After I publish it to the server, does this mean the extract resides on the server as well?

Thank you!

• 4. Re: Creating a local packaged workbook after publishing to Server
                Matt Lutton

No problem, your user filters are connected to the Server, so that makes perfect sense.  Cancelling would only work if you don't have any other reason to be connected to the Server.

For your questions on what happens to your extract, see:

O Extract, Where Art Thou? | Drawing with Numbers

Note the comment:

• When we publish a workbook to Tableau that uses extracts made from a live connection, Tableau copies the extract into Tableau Server, and preserves the connection information about how to get back to the live connection so the extract can be refreshed. Plus we get the Scheduling & Authentication option.

As long as you download and save the workbook as a TWBX with the data extracted, the extract will travel with the TWBX file.

I hope this helps.