2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2014 3:39 AM by Isaac Perez

Simple select fields for table in Tableau desktop

Isaac Perez

Hi,

I'm new to Tableau and I'm trying to do something which I think it's very simple, but don't manage to get the desired result.

I only want to do something like:

select field1, field2,...., field10

from table

In the graphical interface I can drag&drop the fields from the data column to the columns and rows.

But when I add more than one, it takes a very long time and my laptop runs out of memory (8GB).

I've tried a combination of fields in row/columns, but what I think makes sense, doesn't seem to work.

I would like to have the fields in a table, with not sum, aggregation, grouping or anything, just the fields as they are represented in the DB.

Exactly as "select field from table" would do in a direct database query.

What would be the way to do this?

Thanks,

Isaac

• 1. Re: Simple select fields for table in Tableau desktop
          Eric McDonald

It really depends on how much data you have in your table. Best method is usually to select the table directly and set a Data Source Filter to limit rows returned. Are you running 64 bit version of Tableau? If not you will not be able to access the *Gbyte of memory. Don't write custom SQL as this prevents Tableau from creating efficient queries.

Have you tried using the sample data sources supplied with Tableau (like Sample Sales)? Have you looked at the Training & Tutorials links?

• 2. Re: Simple select fields for table in Tableau desktop
            Isaac Perez

It's quite a big table, but can do that with a program like sqldeveloper, so I was expecting Tableau would handle it better.

Yep, 64bits, it does use all the memory.

I'm not writing any custom SQL, I posted it as the example of what I wanted to achieve. As I think it's quite simple, but don't manage to get it done with the drag&drop method.

I've seen a few tutorials, but they seem to show more advanced stuff.