5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2014 7:58 AM by Lucas Brito

default shape

Lucas Brito

I am trying to change the default shape of tableau to reflect my uploaded images as you see below.

After opening MyTableauRepository -> Shapes, i am not able to find a folder for the "Default" where i would replace its contents with the shapes below. Is there a way to do so? The issue I am currently experiencing is that my calculation (below) determines what type of shape to display. I then need to edit the shape manually to reflect the correct indicator for each result. The issue is that once the data is refreshed and new values are created, if my calculation returns "Robust" for the second row, Tableau does not automatically know what shape to assign to "Robust" and displays one of its default, such as a square, circle, cross or x. So is it possible to change the default shape dynamically or is there a better approach for what i am currently trying to accomplish?

Thank you

IF [Value] < 0.69999 THEN "Off Track"

ELSEIF [Value] < 0.79999 THEN "Robust"

ELSEIF [Value] < 0.89999 THEN "Commit"

ELSE "Stretch"

END

shape.png

• 1. Re: default shape

Hey Lucas,

I haven't done too much of this but it seems to me that if you create a custom palette and assign it to each data item, your images should be chosen first. The following articles seem helpful:

Changing Default Field Properties

Shape  -  Online Help

I hope this helps!

Diego

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: default shape
            Lucas Brito

Hi Diego medrano,

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately I had already tried the approach covered and it does not seem to resolve my issue. Even though I assign the palette to my calculated field, i can only assign shapes to the current results. So if one particular condition is not met, i.e. "off track", when the data refreshes and "off track" occurs, Tableau doesn't know what shape to give to it...

I will leave the thread open so hopefully we can get more opinions.

Thank you

• 3. Re: default shape
              Tom W

Normally in this situation I just change the calculated field to force each category to come through.

I.e. if 1=1 then "Robust" end. Then I edit the shape for Robust and change the calculated field to Commit, change the shape and so on. Once I've covered each shape I change the calc back to what it should be and it will remember the categories in the future.

Also just some feedback on your gauges - Don't you find these misleading? When I look at that visualization, I expect the gauge to be telling me something about the value. In other words at first glance I thought all the greens were exactly the same value.

• 4. Re: default shape
                Tableau kumar

Hi Lucas,

I have used the following logic to define  the Shapes condition

Condition is:

if sum([Sales]) <15000 then "Red"

elseif sum([Sales]) >=15000 and sum([Sales]) <= 25000 then "Blue"  

elseif sum([Sales]) >=25001 and sum([Sales]) <= 50000 then "Orange"

elseif sum([Sales]) >=50001 and sum([Sales]) <= 100000 then "Pink"

else "Green" end

Condition is:

if sum([Sales]) <15000 then "Red"

elseif sum([Sales]) >=15000 and sum([Sales]) <= 25000 then "Circle"

elseif sum([Sales]) >=25001 and sum([Sales]) <= 50000 then "Star"

elseif sum([Sales]) >=50001 and sum([Sales]) <= 100000 then "Plus"

else "Square" end

You can through below link.

& if you are placing multiple Facts on the shelf, drag this calculated filed in to the required facts only & you need to use Shapes as mark, drag this Calculated field into Shapes.

https://public.tableausoftware.com/views/ConditionalFormatting-Shapes1/ConditionalShapes1?:embed=y&:display_count=no

Best Regards

Laxman Kumar

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: default shape
                  Lucas Brito

The report is automated now.

Thank you for all of the help.