12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2017 10:02 AM by Alejandro Flores Bardales

Linking multiple scroll bars on same dashboard

Kevin Purcell

Hi,

Using Tableau Desktop 8.0.  I have multiple key performance indicators that need to be displayed for a list of names.  Each KPI is independently calculated on its own worksheet, but the list of names is identical for all the KPIs.

On my dashboard I bring in the different worksheets and line them up next to each other.  I hide the names column on all the worksheets except the first one so I have a grid with names in the left most column and then the KPIs in the columns to the right.

The problem is the list of names is long enough that there is a vertical scroll bar.  I can't make the dashboard big enough to eliminate the scroll bar.  Each worksheet has the vertical scroll bar on the right.  I want to eliminate all but one of the scroll bars and have the one remaining scroll bar control all the worksheets in the dashboard. Is that doable?

I read a post talking about using different screens and filtering by the screens so that only one scroll bar is used at a time. That won't work for this because I need to display all the KPIs for each name at the same time.

Any way to accomplish this?  Maybe through Dashboard actions?

Thanks!

Kevin

• 1. Re: Linking multiple scroll bars on same dashboard
          Matt Lutton

I do not know of a way to do exactly what you want -- controlling several worksheets with one scrollbar on a dashboard.

However, if you can get away with filtering the Names down, you might be able to eliminate the scrollbar.  Perhaps showing one location, or department, or whatever at a time.

If you can post a sample packaged workbook that demonstrates the kind of Dashboard you've created, volunteers on this Forum may be able to suggest another way to approach the problem so you don't run into this issue.  Folks here are pretty creative, so that is what I'd suggest.  Cheers!

3 of 4 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Linking multiple scroll bars on same dashboard
            Kevin Purcell

Matthew,

Thanks very much for your answer.  I'm posting the packaged workbook.  Workbook Dashboard 2 is where I realized I had a problem with scroll bars.

I am investigating whether I can filter the name list.  Unfortunately these people are all in the same dept, so that may not be an option.

Thanks!

Kevin

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Linking multiple scroll bars on same dashboard
              Matt Lutton

I believe you'll need to extract your SQL data sources so there is a local copy available to the TWBX.  Right now, when opening your workbook, it is trying to connect to your SQL server.  Cheers

• 4. Re: Linking multiple scroll bars on same dashboard
                Kevin Purcell

Sorry Matthew.  Here it is again with extracts this time.

• 5. Re: Linking multiple scroll bars on same dashboard
                  Matt Lutton

I see.  Your scenario is complicated by the fact that you're using several data sources (in a Data Blending scenario, not a True Table Join), and each sheet has its own data source.

Tableau is not really built for huge crosstabs of results, as you've probably heard by now.  So, I would not anticipate them "fixing" this issue anytime soon.

Have you looked into Joining these datasets together, to create a single data source?  That might allow you to build all of this into one sheet.  I didn't dig deep into the data to see if it makes sense here, but a single data source would certainly make creating a one-sheet setup much simpler.

• 6. Re: Linking multiple scroll bars on same dashboard
                    James Keuning

I am pretty sure that what you want cannot be done. I have been reading about synching the scroll bars and am coming up empty and I have concluded that it is impossible. If there is a workaround I'm eager to learn.

Here is an Idea post that you can vote on: http://community.tableau.com/ideas/3086

• 7. Re: Linking multiple scroll bars on same dashboard
                      Matt Lutton

Oh absolutely, there is definitely NOT a way to control all the scrollbars at once.  The workaround is to try and use a single sheet wherever possible, but I understand that is not always feasible.  The idea of limiting what is displayed by Filtering is another idea you may want to seriously consider, as even with just one sheet, very few people are going to want to scan all those rows of data to find discoveries and meaning.  Limiting what is displayed can really help in situations like these, and it can strengthen the usability of the dashboard.

But I also understand some of these "requirements" come from folks who want super-long lists of tabular data (because that is what they're used to).  I have to build these myself from time to time, but I try to get as much data into a single data source as possible, so I can avoid building multiple sheets to represent data from different sources.

In the scenario posted here, I am thinking a single data source could be accomplished so this could be built inside a single sheet; since we're analyzing at the "Name" level and the "Name" exists in all the data sources--and because they appear to come from the same type of data source--I would think joining the data into a single data source might help.  BUT, I admittedly, did not study the relationships in the data deeply, so there may be reasons that a true JOIN on the data sources is not feasible.

Cheers to all.

• 8. Re: Linking multiple scroll bars on same dashboard
                        Kevin Purcell

Matthew/James,

Thanks to both of you.  James, I went to the idea post you provided and voted.  Thanks. I didn't know you could do that.

Matthew, terrific feedback on all fronts.  I understand and will go back to the query level and see about combining them.

I appreciate you taking so much time to review my project and make suggestions!

Kevin

• 9. Re: Linking multiple scroll bars on same dashboard
                          Doug Reyff

Hopefully you found a workable solution by now.  I'm posting this mostly for anyone searching for a solution that comes across this post.  I haven't figured out a way to synchronize scroll bars, but when up against a very similar scenario, I created a parameter that lets the user page through the records.  So I control the number of records shown at a time to match my dashboard size, and the user switches the 'page'.  Thus the scroll bars are eliminated all together.

In the attached example, I used the Super Store set.  Look at my [Pages] parameter and the [Pagination] measure calculation.  That measure then is used as a filter = True.  In this example, I just use Index() to identify the records.  In my actual workbook, I used rank_unique() since I was sorting the records by a calculated score across all KPI's per row to keep the individual worksheets in sync with one another.

8 of 8 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Linking multiple scroll bars on same dashboard
                            karthik k

Hi,

Is it possible to control the scroll bar for two different worksheets.

Eg: I have A and B, I wanted the scroll bar in B to control the scroll bar in A.

Can you please help me in this issue?

• 11. Re: Linking multiple scroll bars on same dashboard
                              Antoinette Naranjo

@DougReyff  -  Hi Doug.  I happened upon this page having searched for the ability to sync scroll bars.  With that not being possible, the option you provided will work for me.  However, I am having trouble getting the parameter to work on one of my sheets.  I have applied it as it to filter 5 records at at time.  For the cross tab sheet, it works fine.  For another sheet, it is filtering a random # of records -- anywhere from 5 - 12.  Any thoughts?

Also, is there an option to add a 'Show All' in the parameter dropdown?

Thank you.

Antoinette

• 12. Re: Linking multiple scroll bars on same dashboard
                                Alejandro Flores Bardales

Doug:

That is a very well thinking solution.

Thanks a lot!!