Automatically Updating Data in a Tableau Server Workbook That Uses a Live Connection to Excel
1. In Tableau Desktop, select the data source from the Data menu, and select Edit Connection.
2. In the Excel Workbook Connection dialog box, type the full universal naming convention (UNC) path to the Excel data source in the Step 1 text box.
D:\datasource.xlshas a UNC path that looks like the following:
\\workstation1\d$\datasource.xls, where "workstation1" is the full computer name.
3. Select Server > Publish Workbook.
4. In the Publish Workbook to Tableau Server dialog box, remove the selection from the Include External Files check box.
5. Click the Publish button.
- Make sure that the Tableau Server Run As User account has access to the Excel file data source.
- By removing the selection from the Include External Files check box ensures that Tableau Server connects directly to the original Excel data source