7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 5:55 AM by Bill Wang

NBA Shot Charts

Evan Zamir

I run a site called nbawowy.com which aggregates data from NBA play-by-play logs. I thought it would be neat to use Tableau to visualize the shot data. So here is a report that has shots aggregated (into 3x3 foot square bins) and lets you apply several different filters (opponent, quarter, minutes left in quarter, value of shot, and shot type).

https://public.tableausoftware.com/profile/evanz#!/vizhome/NBA2014ShotCharts/Teams

Team-Players.png

• 1. Re: NBA Shot Charts
          Aden ZHAO

Hi Evan. I think it is very nice and interesting visualization! But I have difficulties in understanding it....

It may be better if you could add some instructions and explanations so people can know how to use it!

• 2. Re: NBA Shot Charts
            . Tableautester

This would be really neat if it had the data going back to the early 90s.

• 3. Re: NBA Shot Charts
              Roben Anderson

I'm having some difficulty understanding what this is showing me. Are PPS = Points scored/Total Shots from that location?

Also, why are the X-Y headers being included?

• 4. Re: NBA Shot Charts
                Evan Zamir

Roben Anderson wrote:

I'm having some difficulty understanding what this is showing me. Are PPS = Points scored/Total Shots from that location?

Also, why are the X-Y headers being included?

The answer to the second question is easy: laziness.

Yes, PPS = points per shot. Obviously, beyond the 3pt line, PPS is going to be higher than inside, even though FG% is generally lower.

• 5. Re: NBA Shot Charts
                  Roben Anderson

Thanks! didn't know if they had any particular meaning other than plotting the location.

Thanks for sharing the viz!

• 6. Re: NBA Shot Charts
                    Alex Lea

Morning Evan

Great viz! Just a couple of suggestions:

• As much as its useful to have number of shots and points, the high number of shots in some locations (i.e. under the net) tends to crowd out other points. How about just plotting one measure on each point? Maybe show shots and points as two separate charts, side by side?
                    • I'd use a single colour scale (red perhaps) rather than blue and green.
                    • Rather than use a single point, you might want to create some kind of grid and aggregate the data to the grid squares/ hexagons to create a full heat map of the court. The point data makes the reader assume that this is exactly where the shot was taken.
                    • You could animate the charts - drag your time measure onto the 'Pages' card and you can see how players' performance changes over a match/ season.

You might want to submit the finished viz to Viz of the Day - they love sports-related dashboards.

Regards

Alex

• 7. Re: NBA Shot Charts
                      Bill Wang

Bravoooo!!!

I've been longing for creating this kind of viz for a long time. Could you please tell me where can I find the data source ? Many thanks!