14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2014 9:33 AM by Patrick A Van Der Hyde

How to sort by last week's sale

preeti.prajapati

Any pointer to how I can sort the categories by last week's sale (for week Dec 29, 2013 in this case).

• 1. Re: How to sort by last week's sale
          Shawn Wallwork

I don't know about anybody else, but I try to cut Newbies quite a bit of slack when it comes to 'badly asked' questions. The way I determine if you're a Newbie is going to your profile page (because most folks don't reveal this in their pop-up profile) and see when you joined our community. If you hide this information, then I have to go in and look at your activity tab to see when you posted your first question, and surmise if you are a Newbie or not. So why does it matter if you're a Newbie?

Simply put: Patience.

Once you know/understand our community, and our practices, then there is a certain level of quality of Question we expect from you. We won't have too much patience with a question like the one I'm replying to if you've been around for awhile. But if you are a complete Newbie, I (and many others) are willing to gently walk you through what is needed to ask a goog question that can be answered.

So the first step for us to determine where you are in the Newbie continuum is to see when you joined. If you make that difficult for us, you are less likely to get an answer.

[Preeti, nothing personal. Just thought this was a good forum teaching moment.]

Answer: Post a sample packaged workbook with a chart that show what you're trying to accomplish and I'm sure we can help you workout what you're wanting to create.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 2. Re: How to sort by last week's sale
            preeti.prajapati

Thank you Shawn  for the "Teaching Moment". Yes, I am comparatively new to the forum but that doesn't imply I am Impatient. I guess you didn't notice that I already had a packaged workbook attached with my question.

• 3. Re: How to sort by last week's sale
              Matt Lutton

I agree.  These simple questions do not ALWAYS mean someone is impatient.  I asked simple questions until someone taught me how to do a better job.

Preeti--the thing is, there are some folks who do seem to come to this Forum to get their work done for them, or they get angry when we make suggestions on how to find the help they need.  As an example, I had an email this morning from someone with a single question about setting the language of a dashboard based on the user's location.  The same question was asked yesterday on the Forums, and again today on LinkedIn.  When the emails came through, I got myself up out of bed, made some coffee, and committed a large chunk of my morning describing how that user could get the best help possible from the user community (clarify the end goal, provide some sample data, mock up a packaged workbook, etc.  All the standard suggestions for getting help here)

After going back and forth with him (he just kept saying "I want language to change based on user's location"--did he mean dynamically, based on GPS coordinates?  Or did he mean some geographical data point in the data source?  The question could be interpreted in so many different ways it was impossible to answer), and providing him with clearcut suggestions for getting help -- his reply was: "K thanks".

That's where our (community volunteers) frustrations stem from.  Or I'll speak for myself, at least.  I was pissed.

Cheers.

• 4. Re: How to sort by last week's sale
                Shawn Wallwork

I wasn't referring to your impatience, but the amount of patience we answerers extend. Knowing how new you are does impact my willingness to take on a badly asked question. But you are correct I didn't know a workbook was attached. I browse the forums on the Overview tab, and it does not indicate whether a workbook is attached (unfortunately). So I didn't realize you attached a workbook, which would make all the difference in the world. Had you asked this question:

Any pointer to how I can sort the categories by last week's sale (for week Dec 29, 2013 in this case). See attached workbook.

I would most certainly have opened it up and tried to answer you. You have to understand that we get an incredible number of terse questions like yours that do NOT have workbooks attached, and most of those go unanswered. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'll take a look at your workbook now.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 5. Re: How to sort by last week's sale
                  preeti.prajapati

Matthew & Shawn,

I too work on customer end so I can understand your frustration. I am sorry for the misunderstanding and will keep this in mind in my future posts.

Thank you both.

• 6. Re: How to sort by last week's sale
                    Shawn Wallwork

Preeti, you can't sort on a Table Calculation. I haven't studied this in depth, so there maybe a solution that isn't coming to mind at the moment. Maybe someone else has a solution.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 7. Re: How to sort by last week's sale
                      Shawn Wallwork

Well said Matthew. And you know I feel you pain in general (and specifically on that question, since I offer an answer). Maybe we need to get Tracy to post something like:

99% of participants in these forums are volunteers. Please understand this is NOT tech support.

Just a thought. (And the @mention is broken again for me so I can't ping anybody.)

--Shawn

• 8. Re: How to sort by last week's sale
                        Matt Lutton

@ mention isn't working properly for me either.  Only my top 7 connections, or whatever, appear in my list.  Internet Explorer 11

• 9. Re: How to sort by last week's sale
                          Shawn Wallwork

Good to know Matthew. I'm sending Pony Express (email) to the forum admins.

--Shawn

• 10. Re: How to sort by last week's sale
                            Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Thanks for the heads up on the @mention.  Tracy and I are testing and will follow up with our vendor.  Firefox seems to work but Chrome and IE are both not working with our testing.  Anyone else confirm the same? 

• 11. Re: How to sort by last week's sale
                              Shawn Wallwork

Thanks Patrick! But let's not be too coy, 'Our vendor' = Jive. I only point this out because I went through a difficult forum down-cycle thinking Tableau had 'screwed up' my beloved forums, only to discover most all of my frustrations could be laid at the feet of Jive. So please let's be clear, T wants/works at, making their forums as perfect as possible. But 'their vendor' doesn't always cooperate.

Bottom-Line: Don't blame Tableau; blame Jive.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 12. Re: How to sort by last week's sale
                                Matt Lutton

@Patrick_van ... I'm in Firefox (31.0), and it ain't a-workin'

For me, Chrome is the only one working.  Version 36.0.1985.143 m

... pinging ya from Chrome now... Patrick A Van Der Hyde

• 13. Re: How to sort by last week's sale
                                  preeti.prajapati

I have partially reached to the solution by using this calculation.

(LOOKUP(ZN(SUM([Sales])), LAST()))*-1

I am able to fetch total sales on last week but issue is if there is no sale in last week the calculation picks last available sale (e.g.  in Telephones and Communication there was no sale in last week but calculation picked last available sale i.e.17,099.98).  This issue is only on my final viz page but I am getting correct values on duplicate cross tab sheet.(See Sheet 2)

Please find the attached workbook.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: How to sort by last week's sale
                                    Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Matthew and Shawan - let's take the thread related to @mentions over to Community Canvas to separate it out from this thread assisting Preeti.

@mentions not working as expected