Currently there isn't a way to skip the backup process during uninstallation but here are two potential workarounds:
1. Use tabadmin set service.backup.pgonly true. This command will tell Tableau Server to only backup the Postgres database and not extracts and configurations. If there are large extracts, this could significantly decrease the uninstalling process time since the backup is skipping those. This command should not affect normal backups.
2. Cancel the backup step during uninstallation:
- Make sure you have a proper backup or create a backup as you usually do it.
- Start uninstalling Tableau Server from Control Panel.
- Uninstall utility will almost immediately start “tabadmin.exe” process which creates a backup. Use Windows Task Manager and forcibly end this “tabadmin.exe” process.
- Once “tabadmin.exe” process stopped, uninstall utility will show an error message about possible backup corruption, press “OK” to proceed anyway.
- After uninstall is completed, delete “uninstall*.tsbak” file in “C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server” folder (this file is corrupted).
- Proceed with installation of the new version into the same folder (it will pick up all files from the previous installation automatically).
Step 2 is highly unsupported or tested so use at your own risk
Hope this helps!
Excellent, thanks Vien! I think I'll stick with step #1