3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 7:42 AM by Joshua Milligan

Extract refresh - Tableau Public

ukasz.gierada.0

Hello,

I would like to publish my dashboard on Tableau Public - I created extracts and I refreshed them by clicking

Data --> Refresh all extracts --> Refresh

But even that I still get the warning message

May I kindly ask you for a hint how to find a solution?

• 1. Re: Extract refresh - Tableau Public
          Joshua Milligan

Ukasz,

The extract is based on a custom SQL statement that uses the value of the parameter as it is when you refresh the extract.  But if you change the value of the parameter, the extract is no longer valid because changing the SQL statement could result in different data.  Thus it must be regenerated.

If possible, you might consider avoiding the parameterized custom SQL and instead create an extract of all the data and then use the parameter to filter or change the value of a calculated field.

Regards,
          Joshua

• 2. Re: Extract refresh - Tableau Public
            ukasz.gierada.0

So let's clarify - I have to remove parameter from my custom sql to be able to work with extract on Tableau Public?

• 3. Re: Extract refresh - Tableau Public
              Joshua Milligan

Ukasz,

I've never tried to see if Tableau Public allows a parameter in custom SQL.  But, even if it does, the extract can only be run once (with one value of the parameter) before being published.  If the parameter changes value, then the extract has to be refreshed and that is not possible after it is published to Public.

It would be helpful to see the query and understand the data and what the parameter does in order to give specific answers as to possible work-arounds.

Regards,

Joshua