2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 3:08 PM by indrasena.reddy

Selecting multiple values in the Parameter dropdown.

indrasena.reddy

Hi,

We have used parameters extensively in our Views and for some parameters, the users need to have the capability of Parameters allowing multiple selections via the dropdown. We haven't used quick filters because of the performance issues. So, is there a way to make the parameters allow for multiple selections?

As per Shawn this is not yet in Tableau, but are there any other options for this (apart from Quick Filters, which would consume time by recomputing their values again, which we would like to avoid).

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Selecting multiple values in the Parameter dropdown.
          Shawn Wallwork

Indrasena, please explain this comment:

We haven't used quick filters because of the performance issues.

You seem to be saying that a parameter/calculated field combination is faster than simply putting a quick filter on directly on the filter shelf. Is this you experience? I ask because this is not mine.

If your issue is performance, then let us know what your data source is, and how many records (generally speaking). I should mention that there is a performance recorder that can help you analyze where the bottle neck is.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Selecting multiple values in the Parameter dropdown.
            indrasena.reddy

Shawn,

This is my understanding, correct me, if I'm wrong:

When you have Parameters as opposed to Quick Filters, there is no recomputing/refreshing is done, once the result set is shown onto the view, but this is not the case with QFs, once the result set is retrieved, the QFs are again recomputed/refreshed to match the result set of the View, so this takes time. In our case, we use the text table type and the the number of records shown may run into around 50,000 or so in the Tableau View.

What I observed after removing the QFs (which were many), the performance has improved.

With regards to performance recorder, I don't know about this. I will explore it.

Thanks.