I have the geography errors show up on a client's remote system. I thought it was because I had been given very limited permissions. But now that I see this exact same error when I open your workbook on my local machine, I'm starting to think it's some sort of bug. You should send this workbook to support, and see if they get the same error. Maybe then can let us know what it is, and either fix it or at least tell us why it is happening.
FYI: On my local machine I have full admin permissions, and I hadn't seen this error on my machine until I opened your workbook.
As an ORA-00942 error typically indicates that a table or view does not exist, my first guess would be that it is a permissions issue as you have mentioned that the Oracle data connection user being used by Tableau Server is read-only and has limited permissions. Additional info regarding the ORA-00942 error code can be found here: http://ora-00942.ora-code.com/
As an initial troubleshooting step, I would try giving the Oracle data connection user full permissions to the database. This way, you can identify whether or not permissions are the culprit for the current issue. If giving the Oracle data connection user full permissions to the database still does not resolve the issue, I would open up a case with Tableau Support (firstname.lastname@example.org), as they would be better geared towards getting this issue resolved. When opening a support case, please be sure to include screenshots, as much information as possible, a packaged workbook that is affected by the issue and a full set of Tableau Server log files, as this will expedite the support process greatly.
Hope this helps!
I restarted the server (which I can do without too much trouble luckily) seemed to resolve the issue. Maybe it was referring to some stale data connection info; I'm not sure.
I also noticed that doing a table load caused the same error (worked fine on desktop but no permissions from server), but changing it to custom SQL "select * from..." worked. Go figure.
Glad to hear that you were able to resolve the issue! When in doubt, restart!
Ah, if only it were that simple.
I have the same issue again with another workbook.
Custom SQL, works fine in Tableau Desktop (which is on the same machine as the Server), but won't load from Tableau Server, giving the same ORA-00942 as per my original post.
Have restarted the machine a couple of times, to no avail.
Got it to work (again) by embedding the password when I published.
More witchcraft than art (than science) to this...