5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2014 7:37 AM by Russell Christopher

how to implement actions between two published views in iframe

Karthik Venkatraman

Hi,

I am working on a live project and I am embedding two worksheets views in two iframes of an html document.

In the worksheets I have created, I have applied some actions between them and has published them in views. For example the view 1 will have country and view 2 will have states of that country. These two views has been displayed into two iframes of a html document separately.  So when I click on the countries in iframe 1, the action must be applied on the states report in iframe 2. i.e the states report in iframe 2 needs to show the data of what country is selected in iframe 1.

Is there any way to apply actions between two separate published views and show them in html iframes instead of creating a single dashboard?

Can anyone help me in this?

• 1. Re: how to implement actions between two published views in iframe
          Egor Larin

HEllo!

Did you try create action filter from one sheet to other?

in Worksheet Menu->Actions->Add actions->Filter. Source sheet 1, target sheet 2.

then publish it to Server.

i Think it will help, but im not sure that it will move you on web to sheet 2.

• 2. Re: how to implement actions between two published views in iframe
            Karthik Venkatraman

Hi,

I have tried that. But if we do like that, its showing loading the view 2 in same iFrame itself.

• 3. Re: how to implement actions between two published views in iframe
              Russell Christopher

There really isn't an *easy* way to do this if you really *want* two iframes. By choosing to nest each viz in a distinct iframe, you are (whether you know it or not) choosing to take everything in hand yourself. Is there a specific reason why you want/need two iframes? Please explain.

Why not just create a "long" dashboard which contains both visualizations? In that way, a simple action filter will take care of your requirement with a minimum of fuss?

You might also be able to get this done by adding a Web Page object to the your original dashboard. Make the Web Page object large enough to comfortably host your second viz. Then, use a URL Filter in the first viz to apply a filter to the second (it'll appear in the iframe, or you can set it there to begin with). Use the format http://server/views/MyWorkbook/MyDashboardName?:embed=yes. You'd add filters to this by including additional &FilterName=Value statements.

Finally, you could throw out your <IFRAME> objects altogether, add your dasboards inside distinct <DIV>s instead, and completely control their interaction with the JavaScript API we include with the product.

Unless you need really night integration, I'd just go with the first idea - easiest.

• 4. Re: how to implement actions between two published views in iframe
                Karthik Venkatraman

Hi Russell,

Thanks for your reply. I have currently using the dashboard as you have stated in the iframe and have implemented it in the web page.

The reason for creating individual iframes, is due to the large number of worksheets. As per my project, I will be having nearly 10 reports under each of my category and there will be nearly 10 categories. So if am creating dashboards and adding all the worksheets for that category, the views are not that much visible and gets shrinked.

So I was thinking why we cannot have individual iframes and implement it? Is there any way to do that.

• 5. Re: how to implement actions between two published views in iframe
                  Russell Christopher

No, per my earlier answer you cannot do this with frames.  You’d need to use one of the two techniques I mentioned in first response.

I don’t understand why you can’t use use a single, large (width) dashboard – You’re essentially just using two iframes break up the width anyway. Just create a dashboard with the same width as the combined width of each of your iframes.

FYI, you may be presenting the user too much information at the same time to begin with. Most dashboard creators follow a “5 second rule” which dictates that a user should be able to understand the top line information you are trying to provide within 5 seconds of viewing the information. Presenting 10 reports worth of information will make that exceedingly difficult. Consider using a single dashboard with 3-4 visualizations as a “launching point” and then use Tableau Filter actions to allow the user to interactively go where they are interested in going.