8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2015 4:13 PM by Dan Scott

Tableau Postgre database

Vladimir Patsionov

Hi everyone! Please help me! I am using Tableau server 8.2. I need to connect to internal Tableau database. In 8.2 documentation it is said :

The Tableau Server repository has several database views set up that you can connect to and query as part of building your own analyses of Tableau Server activity. To access these views you must first use the tabadmin command line utility to enable external access to the database.

1. Open a command prompt as an administrator and type:                  cd "C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\8.2\bin"
      2. Next, use the following command to enable external access to the database for the user "tableau" with a password that you specify.tabadmin dbpass [password]                  Substitute the [password] option with your own password. For example:tabadmin dbpass P@ssw0rD!                    
      3. Restart Tableau Server.

After you've enabled external access to the database, Tableau allows any IP address access to the database as long as the correct password is provided. Follow the steps in Connecting to the Tableau Server Database to connect.

But it  is not working!   I am trying to connect to this database from my local machine and it gives me such an error :

"no pg_hba.conf entry for host "172.30.39.48", user "tableau", database "workgroup", SSL off"

I have found resolution for this error by adding corresponding info into pg_hba.conf.templ file but this resolution refers only to 7.0 version. Nothing about it is said in 8.2 .   8.2 says - After you've enabled external access to the database, Tableau allows any IP address access to the database as long as the correct password is provided

I've also tried to connect to Tableau database from it's machine ( where Tableau server is running) and it didn't work also untill I changed server name in connection window to localhost and turned off IPV6.

Please, help me! How can I connect to Tableau database from my local machine ?