6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 7:18 AM by Toby Erkson

Third party's Dashboard publishing

willow yang

Hi,

I am looking for a solution if it is possible to publish a Tableau dashboard which is created by third party, the data is from external source and licence on our service?

Many thanks for your reply.

Best,

Willow

• 1. Re: Third party's Dashboard publishing
          Ramon Martinez

Hi Willow,

There are some information we need to answer your question.

The external data source, used by the dashboard is accessible? I mean, database access parameters (db server, database, tables and views are exposed to your IT infrastructure with an specific username?

Do you have an instance of Tableau Server where you are able to publish your dashboards?

Who is going to publish the dashboard, the third party you mentioned or yourself? The user that is going to publish the dashboard need to be registered as user in Tableau Server and have right as publisher

Best

Ramon

• 2. Re: Third party's Dashboard publishing
            willow yang

I was told by the third party that the dashboard they built was only connect to an excel file, not their server. they can send me the workbook with data extraction.

Yes we do have server for publishing dashboard.

As the dashboard would need to be on our server, therefore I will need to publish it and I have the user login etc. However, I am aware that to publish dashboard it will need to be connect to our server, so my question here is how? and the dashboard will need to be updated every month.

Best,

Willow

• 3. Re: Third party's Dashboard publishing
              Ramon Martinez

Hi Willow,

Based on the new information you have provided, you have to publish the workbook (connected to the data extract) to your Tableau Server (the data file will be also published to tableau Server). Once published, the dashboard will be available in Tableau Server for all user with access to Tableau Server.

There is a requirement that you have to take into account. Is regarding to keep update the data file (in Excel or Tableau Data Extract). You have to establish a way that the third party send you the data file with new data periodically.

Tableau Server allows you to create an schedule to automatically update the data file. In this case you have to make sure that data file is located in share drive or a file server in your network allowing Tableau Server to access it.

Best

Ramon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Third party's Dashboard publishing
                Toby Erkson

willow yang wrote:

I was told by the third party that the dashboard they built was only connect to an excel file, not their server. they can send me the workbook with data extraction...

If they are building the dashboard using Tableau Desktop and sending you the dashboard as a .twbx file then you can publish the workbook to your Tableau Server.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Third party's Dashboard publishing
                  willow yang

Thanks Toby,

Once I received the .twbx file, I assume I will need to open it by using my login detail, in terms of connecting to my server, I will need server name, does it need anything else from Tech team? I am only an end user, not technical. 

Best,

Wilow

• 6. Re: Third party's Dashboard publishing
                    Toby Erkson

You are correct   You will need to know the permissions to assign to it (Allow or Deny to View, Web Edit, Filter, etc.).