8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2014 10:35 AM by David Byrd

Extract Timeout on 8.2 Upgrade

David Byrd

We upgraded to server 8.2 and now all of our extracts running at 2 hours fail due to timeout.  I have adjusted everything I can see that should be adjusted and the server took the config from the previous install where all extracts behaved fine for 2+ hours.  Anyone else have this issue or can help??

Here is what I have adjusted so far or stayed the same after the upgrade:

backgrounder.log.level: info

backgrounder.native_api.log.level: info

backgrounder.ping_dataengine.num_retries: 20

backgrounder.ping_dataengine.time_to_wait: 5000

backgrounder.querylimit: 86400

backgrounder.reset_schedules_on_startup: true

backgrounder.restart_interval_in_minutes: 480

backgrounder.sleep_interval: 10

backgrounder.timeout_length_in_seconds: 86400

dataserver.session.expiry.timeout: 86400

• 1. Re: Extract Timeout on 8.2 Upgrade
          Carl Dragseth

David, has this been resolved?   Have you talked with Tableau?  If so, what was the answer.   We are experiencing the same issue.

• 2. Re: Extract Timeout on 8.2 Upgrade
            David Byrd

We have a case in with them that has been escalated to a server engineer.  Their initial response was to adjust one of the settings we had already addressed (tabadmin set backgrounder.querylimit) they wanted us to move that up but we had already set this and other timeouts at 24 hours (86400 seconds).  I don’t think it is this because ours is exactly 2 hours and 1 minute and sum number of seconds, not 2 hours exactly.  I will post once they have given more direction as to what it could be.  Is yours a little over two hours as well?

• 3. Re: Extract Timeout on 8.2 Upgrade
              Carl Dragseth

We timeout at 2:01:40.   Since the upgrade, the extract has error-ed out.  We had changed the admin setting to 10800, but that didn't solve it as it has in the past when we were on 8.1.

• 4. Re: Extract Timeout on 8.2 Upgrade
                David Byrd

That is the exact thing we are experiencing with the exact time.  I went over the settings we have via the tabadmin configure command to export the settings and nothing (no number) on that is set to that amount of time in either seconds or minutes.   I thought it was also the timeout_length_in_seconds but that was set high as well.

I will keep you posted as I hear from them.

• 5. Re: Extract Timeout on 8.2 Upgrade
                  Carl Dragseth

We are sending in a service ticket.  In the meantime, we are going to make a change to some of the settings on server and try and optimize the query to shorten its duration.

• 6. Re: Extract Timeout on 8.2 Upgrade
                    David Byrd

I just spoke with Tableau a few minutes ago and they suggested the following (below).  The difference would be, when I implemented this statement previously, I didn’t “tabadmin config” before starting the server back up.  Give this a shot and see, apparently if you don’t tabadmin config the setting of new timeout_length_in_seconds only gets written to one place and not all the places it needs to be written to.  So your config output file will show it as such but the process still references the old timeout setting.

At the command prompt, run the following commands in order:

tabadmin stop

tabadmin set backgrounder.timeout_length_in_seconds 86400

tabadmin config

tabadmin start

They indicated that this was a known issue and a kb article is being written to address it.  My test is still running to know if this in fact works, I should know in the next hour and 45 minutes.

• 7. Re: Extract Timeout on 8.2 Upgrade
                      Carl Dragseth

Thanks.  We will have our IT guys try that out.

• 8. Re: Extract Timeout on 8.2 Upgrade
                        David Byrd

This tested successfully for us.