0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2014 11:02 AM by Paul McMurtry

table calculation of a table calculation??

Paul McMurtry

Hello!

I’d like to request some help with a table calculation that I’m struggling with.  My goal is to create a table to summarize how often service technicians have to revisit the same locations (service sites) to fix recurring problems.

Here is a summary of what I’ve done with the workbook so far:

Step 1a:  I organized the sample data into the table shown in the worksheet named ‘Site Visits Step 1’.

Step 1b:  I used a table calculation to determine the time between each visit for each site in the worksheet named ‘Site Visits Step 1’..

Step 1c:  I used a table calculation to categorize the time between each site visit into one of six categories (see list below) in the worksheet named ‘Site Visits Step 1’.

• No Previous Visit
      • 0 days between site visits
      • 1 to 30 days between site visits
      • 31 to 60 days between site visits
      • 61 to 90 days between site visits
      • >90 days between site visits

Step 2:  I organized the data into the table shown in the worksheet named ‘Site Visits Step 2’ to summarize by the month of each site visit.

Step 3:  I organized the data into the table shown in the worksheet named ‘# of Visits per Site per Month’.

Step 4:  I tried to create a table in the worksheet named ‘Site Visits by Cat by Month’ to show the number of site visits per category per month.  However, I cannot get the table to display the desired numbers.  Instead of displaying a single number in each cell, Tableau displays multiple numbers.  I believe this is because of the dimensions that I added to the Level of Detail shelf.

I think I need the dimensions that I added to the Level of Detail shelf so that the table calculation can properly categorize the time between each site visit into one of six categories.  However, I think that is also causing Tableau to display multiple numbers in the table in worksheet named ‘Site Visits by Cat by Month’.

The dashboard named ‘Goal’ includes images of the tables that I’m trying to create.  The attached Excel file was used to create the tables.

Any assistance that you can provide to help me recreate the table shown in the ‘Goal’ dashboard would be greatly appreciated.