2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2014 1:39 PM by Leonardo Faoro

Flexible chart to show time-series variables across multiple datasets.

John Clair

Hi all. I have several time series datasets. I'd like to have 1 chart with date on the x-axis and "values" on the y. I'd like to be able to have a parameter drop-down where I can first select which dataset I want, and then select which variable within that dataset I want to display in the chart.

• 1. Re: Flexible chart to show time-series variables across multiple datasets.
          Robert Sutter

can you attach a packaged workbook with samples of your data. It's easier to show the solution.

Robb

• 2. Re: Flexible chart to show time-series variables across multiple datasets.
            Leonardo Faoro

Hi John

I had the same problem. Assuming your data looks like this

+-------------+---------------+---------------+----------+

| observation | measurement A | measurement B | date    |

| subject 1  | 20            | 150          | 1/1/2014 |

| subject 2  | 15            | 100          | 1/5/2014 |

You will need to transform your data into 4 rows, one for each observed value

observation ----- measurement name ---- measurement value ---- date

To achieve this you can you the Tableau Excel add-in for example. Or you may need to process the data using third-party tools. I use R but really most scripting languages can achieve this.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this but this method works fine for me.

It gets more complicated if you have measurements that have different units, or if you have some measurements that are numbers and some that are discrete(categorical)... I am still trying to crack this one (for now I build dashboards)

Leo