5 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2014 5:15 AM by Matt Lutton

Filter two fields at the same time

Kiril Zlatkov

Hello,

I have a data model setup where I need to be able to filter two fields in different tables with only one Quick Filter. Can anyone help? Below I provide detailed explanation on the model and what I am trying to do, as well as, a sample workbook.

I have a list of real estate properties and each one of the has certain attributes. For example, the first 4 rows are:

PropertiesM Table

PROPERTYM

TYPEM

LOCATIONM

USER_ATTR1M

USER_ATTR2M

USER_ATTR3M

VALUEM

Property1

Office

New York

Blue

Big

Furnished

Property2

Office

LA

Red

Small

Not furnished

Property3

Retail

Boston

Green

Medium

N/A

Property4

Retail

New York

N/A

N/A

Furnished

I also have a table that contains the covariance of each Property with all other properties. For example:

CovarNormalized Table

PropertyM

PropertyN

Value

Property1

Property1

1. 307.389

Property1

Property2

1. 200.242

Property1

Property3

1. 148.788

Property1

Property4

1. 145.018

In fact the reason, my table with property attributes is duplicated is that it allows me to lookup attributes of each property mentioned on a row in the CovarNormalized table. For example, the second row in the CovarNormalized table is:

Property1

Property2

1. 200.242

What I need to be able to reference in my formulas is the Location of “Property1”, which is New York, as well as the Location of “Property2”, which is LA. I also need to reference the VALUEs of each property, which are 19.6349 and 6.6126 respectively.

My ultimate goal is to have a filter on Location, which should filter the CovarNormalized table in such a way as to keep only Properties that are in the selected locations. For example, if I filter on New York and LA, what I am left with in the CovarNormalized table is:

CovarNormalized Table

PropertyM

PropertyN

Value

Property1

Property1

1. 307.389

Property1

Property2

1. 200.242

Property1

Property4

1. 145.018

This is the reason I have made two copies of my Properties table, which are called PropertiesM and PropertiesN. It allows me to have two separate links to the table CovarNormalized, one on PropertyM and one one PropertyN.

This leads me to my question. How can I have only one Location filter, that simultaneously filters PropertiesM.LOCATIONM and PropertiesN.LOCATIONN?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kiril

• 1. Re: Filter two fields at the same time
          Ganesh K
          Hi Kiril Zlatkov,

Here is few steps need to be made:

1. Select both PropertyM and PropertyN using Ctrl Key right click Combine fields.

2. To the Row shelves Drag:

*) PropertyM, PropertyN, PropertM,PropertyN(Combined field), Location, and ValueM .

Note: Location in row field is just for your reference only, you can remove it later.

3. Now drag Location field to the filter just select LA and New york and also Check mark on exclude option, so you will be getting excluded data (i.e. other than LA and New york).

4. Now you will be getting the view which you required. At last Go to Row field  "PropertM,PropertyN(Combined field)"

Right click "Show Header" need to be uncheked.

Let me know if this is what you want?

Regards,

Ganesh K

• 2. Re: Filter two fields at the same time
            Kiril Zlatkov

Hello Ganesh K,

Thanks a lot for your response and apologies for my slow reply. I was away for a few days.

I am not sure that what you are suggesting achieves my objective. I followed the steps you outlined and was not able to filter both the LOCATIONM and the LOCATIONN field. Also, I want to clarify that the filter of the two fields LocationM and LocationN should work independently for each field without setting them equal to each other. For example, if I filter for two cities (i.e. Boston, New York) the results I would get if the fields are set equal to each other are:

LOCATIONM

LOCATIONN

Boston

Boston

New York

New York

However, what I am actually looking to get is the following:

LOCATIONM

LOCATIONN

Boston

Boston

Boston

New York

New York

Boston

New York

New York

Essentially the filter should function like an IN statement in SQL:

WHERE LOCATIONM IN (‘Boston’, ‘New York’) AND LOCATIONN IN (‘Boston’, ‘New York’)

Sorry if I was not very clear in the beginning and I hope this information helps. Looking forward to hearing from you and I appreciate your help with this.

• 3. Re: Filter two fields at the same time
              Ganesh K

Hi Kiril Zlatkov,

Please find the attachment, i have worked on it please let me know if this works

Regards,

Ganesh K

• 4. Re: Filter two fields at the same time
                Kiril Zlatkov

Hi Ganesh K,

Once again thanks for your response. To make sure I understand correctly, the way your solution works is that the user would need to independently filter the values for the two fields (LocationM, LocationN), but for the first field they select what's in and for the second they select what's out?

My objective is to have the user work with only one filter. Imagine that there are dozens of Locations that need to be selected/deselected. Having to do that twice is not very user friendly.

Regards,

Kiril