11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2015 9:25 AM by Jeff Strauss

It's time to add moderators.

Toby Erkson

The forum has grown quite a bit:  Many more users and multiple drop-points where posts can be placed (many over-lapping).  While I'm simply focused on server/admin questions -- thus a small percentage of the total questions -- I still see questions that are not tagged, not marked as answered (or helpful when they should be), not categorized well, or asked in a thread where it doesn't pertain/relate/belong.  Having to ping only two people ( @ name ) to make moderation changes to the forum is impractable, especially since they have other duties than being on the forum 24/7!  For example, if a posting is in the wrong area I need to let Dustin and Tracy know about it.  In the ROW (Rest Of [the] World) of forums, I don't have to.  There should be someone that sees it and does it without prompting.

I know of many forums where they use non-employee people to act as moderators.  These people do NOT have to be experts in the forum categories!  However, they should have a fair amount of knowledge about the product.  What they need to be is cognizant of the forum rules and fairly people-oriented (it is a customer-facing function) with a thick skin and sense of humor.  Typically these people are respected, long-time forum members that are appointed by the forum admins (the forum owners).  Moderation is an offer whose acceptance is up to the user and it can be revoked at any time.

These people are tagged as moderators and people can PM them...oh wait, Jive doesn't have a PM system...huh...anyway, people can contact them if something needs attention.  The mods (moderators) can move threads to proper forums, close-down/lock a thread if it's degenerating, remove it if it's spam, mark a thread as Assumed Answered, branch a thread if it side-tracks to another subject, etc.

Moderators allow greater coverage with less expense of a forum.  At a minimum I would guess there should be four moderators in the western hemisphere and four on the eastern hemisphere (and preferably all not in the same time zone ), all who are frequent visitors.  This allows overlapping coverage for such considerations as vacation/holiday, sickness, work load, long-distance traveling, etc.  How many can be tuned and can even be specified to certain areas (four mods in Forums, one in Community Canvas, one for TabWiki/Workbook Library/Dev Community combined, etc.) and/or overlap areas.

Anyway, just one very-experienced reporting monkey's viewpoint I would like Tableau to take into consideration.

< OMG NOTE > I just spent 20+ minutes on this post and started getting that dang red error bar message at the bottom of the screen telling me there was some error and I need to log back in.  My post was not saved (I think the auto-save buffer is the issue).  I had to Cancel and then start a new post   Luckily I saved my text so I was able to paste it back in (minus formatting and smilies).

• 1. Re: It's time to add moderators.
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Toby,

Thanks for this insight. Adding moderators is something that Dustin and I have talked about and are definitely coming to consider. We have added two more people to the Community Support team (Jordan Bunker and Patrick A Van Der Hyde) who will monitor these types of things as well. Stay tuned for their blog post!

In regards to the the error message, have you cleared your cache recently? I kept running into a similar error and when I cleared my cache, I haven't noticed it. Let me know if it does continue to be an issue though!

-Tracy

• 2. Re: It's time to add moderators.
            Shawn Wallwork

Dang Jordan you snuck in there on us. I was going to say "Welcome to the Forums" but I see you've been active for awhile now. Good to know you're part of the inside Tableau forum team. We all get tired of always bugging Dustin and Tracy; glad to see we have new red meat! (Just kidding, really, honestly!)

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 3. Re: It's time to add moderators.
              Shawn Wallwork

Toby good post. I even 'liked' it. You said:

I still see questions that are not tagged, not marked as answered (or helpful when they should be), not categorized well, or asked in a thread where it doesn't pertain/relate/belong. (Toby you forgot 'not branched' a feature that's almost never used.)

I don't think you're looking for a moderator, I think you're looking for the rewrite desk! (Bada bing!)

Seriously, I agree having a set of folks who can make 'admin' type changes will help the forums in a lot of different ways. As a first step I suggest that the Tableau Forums Team (4 Strong now) give a group of us these privileges with the same limit they apply to the spam moderated posts. Meaning the change doesn't take affect until an inside Tableau member gives the OK. That way Tableau is able to maintain a certain level of control of their forums, but at the same time they don't have to monitor the forums 'in detail' 24/7.

Thanks again for this post Toby. And thanks for looking for all those Server Qs -- I have many more to ask.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 4. Re: It's time to add moderators.
                Toby Erkson

Thanks Shawn.  I do mention branching in the third paragraph.  I only see the "Branch" option in my threads so it must be a original posting author option only?

While a moderator may have an initial probabtion period, having their work checked by an admin is counter-productive.  They are a mod because they are deemed trust-worthy and thus don't need to be baby-sat.  If they abuse their powers the members of the forum will quickly bring it to the attention of the admins i.e. Tableau staff.

Jordan and Patrick, hello!  Nice to have more staff here to keep the forums flowing.

• 5. Re: It's time to add moderators.
                  Toby Erkson

Hey tracy.fitzgerald , could you or your caffinated half (Dustin Smith ) create an Admin Group that would contain you, Dustin, Jordan, & Patrick?  That way we could call attention to the admin staff in one call instead of us having to list each and every name (and stop guessing at which dustin.smith to select).  So it's basically a distribution list, much like email, for the forum.

I don't care what you call it, just make sure it's somewhat intuitive.  @ Tableau.Admin or @ Moderation or something.  Oh, and can you add a filter so some monkey can't create a login using a derivative of it?  Forum software I've used in the past had a dictionary or excluded word list that wouldn't allow people to create a user name (login ID) using anything in the list so I'm hoping Jive has something similar (Shawn, stop your laughing!).

• 6. Re: It's time to add moderators.
                    Jeff Strauss

Amen to this post!

• 7. Re: It's time to add moderators.
                      Toby Erkson

Well whaddya know?  I forgot about this and now a year later we got 'em!

• 8. Re: It's time to add moderators.
                        Jeff Strauss

Cool.  What's the criteria for this "merit badge"?

• 9. Re: It's time to add moderators.
                          Toby Erkson

Tracy summarizes it in this week's Community Digest:

Community Digest - Ending 4/20

• 10. Re: It's time to add moderators.
                            Toby Erkson

BTW an FYI:

toby.erkson.0 wrote:

Hey tracy.fitzgerald , could you or your caffinated half (Dustin Smith ) create an Admin Group that would contain you, Dustin, Jordan, & Patrick?  That way we could call attention to the admin staff in one call instead of us having to list each and every name (and stop guessing at which dustin.smith to select).  So it's basically a distribution list, much like email, for the forum...

Tableau Community was created a little while back that serves this function.

• 11. Re: It's time to add moderators.
                              Jeff Strauss

well, congrats!