2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 12:05 PM by prasanth.avirnene

DataSource Error While connecting to Teradata

Visakh C

Hi

I am very new to Tableau, and I have a need to connect Tableau to Teradata.

I was able to connect to Teradata  and upon the connection I have noticed that one of the date column is denoted as 'String' among the dimension. Therefore I Changed the field property by Clicking 'Change Data Type' and Selected 'Date'.

Now whenever I use this field for the analysis I am getting the error message to be:

'Error while communicating to the data source' and when i gave the details it shows '[Teradata][ODBC Teradata Driver] [Teradata Database]. Invalid Date.'

I have three questions here:

1. How to debug similar issues ?

2. How to I findout the underlying SQL that Tableau submit to the Database (Using Tableau)

3. Is there a way for me to modify the SQL that I submit to the Database using Tableau.

• 1. Re: DataSource Error While connecting to Teradata
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Visakh,

Are the dates in your Teradata database INTERVAL types? Interval types are currently limited in how they are brought into Tableau--they are recognized as strings. However, a calculated field field using RAWSQL can be used as a possible workaround. Hopefully, creating a calculated field similar to the following will help resolve the issue:

RAWSQL_REAL("CAST(EXTRACT(DAY FROM %1) AS DOUBLE PRECISION) + CAST(EXTRACT(HOUR FROM %1) AS DOUBLE PRECISION)/24 + CAST(EXTRACT(MINUTE FROM %1) AS DOUBLE PRECISION)/(24*60) + CAST(EXTRACT(SECOND FROM %1) AS DOUBLE PRECISION)/(24*3600)",[field name])

-Tracy

• 2. Re: DataSource Error While connecting to Teradata
            prasanth.avirnene

Hi Visakh,

Hope you are doing well.

I am also having the issue while connecting to Teradata. Did this issue get solved? 

If yes could you please guide me in solving this issue.

Thank You!