0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2014 1:14 PM by Joe Oppelt

fiscal functions for date_part arguments?

Joe Oppelt

Has there ever been discussion about including "fiscal" functions for "date_part" values in tableau functions like DATENAME, DATEPART, etc.?

I'd like to be able to do FiscalQuarter, for example in a DATENAME function.  Right now my fiscal year starts in October.  So I have data from October through April in a visualization.  I'd like the user to be able to select quarters to display/hide, but when I use "quarter" in DATEPART it labels the quarters in the displayed filter as:  4, 1, 2 (Oct-Dec, Jan-Mar, Apr-).  They really should be 1, 2, 3.  (The date field itself is set with "Fiscal Year Start" = Oct in the "Default Properties".)

For now I can get by if I do it by months instead of quarters, but the user really wanted to select by quarters, not months.  (Actually, it would be nice for the flter to display the order of months starting with October in this example since that's the start of the fiscal year.  And if there were a "FiscalMonth" value for date_part, I think that's what it would do for me.)

Or is there a way to do what I want already?