1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 9:38 AM by Shawn Wallwork

What's Tableau's direction?  What's in the pipeline?

Toby Erkson

Pulling out my soap box here...

I have a wide range of users.  One thing that is okay for one user doesn't mean it will work for everyone.  Here's a quick list -- easily off the top of my hear right now -- of my complaints that I have to deal with regularly and they're really annoying me:

• True syncing with Active Directory - this means deleting users if they no longer exist in AD.
      • If I have a custom Tableau Group then I should be able to map AD groups to them (assign an AD group to a Tableau Group).
      • Users should have the option to have a report emailed to them as a PDF or CSV or TWB besides just an image and a link.
      • Reports should be able to be emailed to multiple people, even if they aren't Tableau Server Users.
      • Documentation and access to all of the Tableau Server PostgreSQL tables or else expand the number of views in the db for the admins!!!
      • The Tableau Server scheduler needs more options, it's far too basic.

I don't want to deal with work-arounds; they add to the admin load and upkeep, particularly when dealing with more than one server.  And some things simply don't have a work-around or I don't have the time to learn Python/Java/.NET/PowerShell/etc.  But I need better functionality for me and my end users and I'm really getting tired of hoping and waiting for things that may or may not happen.  There's a flurry of Ideas but nobody knows which ones are being worked on or being ignored, which ones definitely will be in the next version (or sub-version) or are in-developement or will never see the light of day.  I can do the hours to create a work-around for Tableau's shortcomings but I'd be pretty upset if what I was working on was something that would be coming out in the next version -- talk about a waste of time.

I've just decided that I'm done with the Ideas.  No more voting for me, they're just a pacifier with no promise of reality.  The Ideas section seems more like a parking lot to me; we need feedback on the Ideas to let us know "yeah, we're working on that now" or "that will never happen" or "we'll work on that and get it out in the next release or two".  There's only one Idea that exists that really has any meaning for me and should be for everybody else who have been asking for additional functionality -- especially in the administrator department! -- and that is to Increase the development department's head-count!

I need to know what functionality and improvements will be in the next release.  As for bug-fixes, Scarlett my dear, I don't give a ****.  "Should I waste my time on yet another work-around or wait for it in the next release?", that's my question.

• 1. Re: What's Tableau's direction?  What's in the pipeline?
          Shawn Wallwork

And some things simply don't have a work-around or I don't have the time to learn Python/Java/.NET/PowerShell/etc.  But I need better functionality for me and my end users and I'm really getting tired of hoping and waiting for things that may or may not happen.  There's a flurry of Ideas but nobody knows which ones are being worked on or being ignored, which ones definitely will be in the next version (or sub-version) or are in-developement or will never see the light of day.  I can do the hours to create a work-around for Tableau's shortcomings but I'd be pretty upset if what I was working on was something that would be coming out in the next version -- talk about a waste of time.

I've just decided that I'm done with the Ideas.  No more voting for me, they're just a pacifier with no promise of reality.  The Ideas section seems more like a parking lot to me; we need feedback on the Ideas to let us know "yeah, we're working on that now" or "that will never happen" or "we'll work on that and get it out in the next release or two".  There's only one Idea that exists that really has any meaning for me and should be for everybody else who have been asking for additional functionality -- especially in the administrator department! -- and that is to Increase the development department's head-count!

I need to know what functionality and improvements will be in the next release.  As for bug-fixes, Scarlett my dear, I don't give a ****.  "Should I waste my time on yet another work-around or wait for it in the next release?", that's my question.

Toby, I couldn't have said it better myself. These days I mostly vote for Ideas I like only because Johan has invested so much in this area, and I think his great work needs acknowledgement. I hold out no hope of the Road Map ever being revealed to us in even a rudimentary way. They did give the Zen Masters a look, but only after signing all the legal mumbo-jumbo. I personally think there is a needless paranoia on their part, but then I've never run a multi-million dollar public company with all the lawyers that must get involved in that sort of enterprise.

As Russell is fond of saying, "Step away from the keyboard." This pain will pass...

Cheers,

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful