3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 7:33 AM by allan.walker.0

Trouble connecting countries for flight paths

J G

I am currently building a flight path map similar to that of the trade flows map in the training. I have Country and City but not state. I have gotten the flight paths to appear however the international flights do not seem to be linking up. Is this because of lack of state? They show up as dots on the countries they visit but no path is formed.

Attached.

Thank you very much ahead of time. I have other questions but am unsure if I need to submit separately or all in one.

• 1. Re: Trouble connecting countries for flight paths
          allan.walker.0

Video:

Workbook to download: (Note, Tableau 8.1.4 64-bit)

I took your data and re-processed it.  I added Great Arc Circles.  It is colored on distance, rather than "name".

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Trouble connecting countries for flight paths
            J G

Hi!

Thank you for this response! It looks exactly like what I was trying to do. However, I am a little confused about what happened? There seem to be a lot more fields and calculations used on the lat and long? If you could take a minute to explain it, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Trouble connecting countries for flight paths
              allan.walker.0

Hi J G,

So here is my workflow, which may help:

I unpackaged your workbook and found the XLS file.

I did a VLOOKUP on your table of airports to get an origin lat/long and a destination lat/long.  I recognized the data from OpenFlights.org and did a quick pass to ensure the data was correct (i.e. I opened the airport file in QGIS to check).

Then, I opened ESRI and did XY to line (data management), and added great circle arc.  This outputs an ESRI multipolyline SHP file.  I then run ET Wizards polyline to point, and re-joined the table with a spatial join.  This gives me one set of points, with a path order, which is required to join the lines.

Then I used the pages function on departure date (exact) to animate the sequence, and added a filter per passenger.  Lastly, I did a calculated field to give me Vincenty distance, and color encoded that.

Best Regards,

Allan

1 of 1 people found this helpful