3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 1:11 PM by Tom W

Cannot connect remotely to Postgres admin views, only accessible directly from server

Leigh Fonseca

I have configured a Tableau Server 8.1 installation to expose the internal postgres db to build custom administrative views.  I followed the instructions from the online help.  In the past, I have done this setup setup several times (pre-8.0) and always had to add the IP address of the users connecting to the views.  According to the online help, once the dbpass is set anyone can connect with the correct password:

After you've enabled external access to the database, Tableau allows any IP address access to the database as long as the correct password is provided.

I am able to connect to the admin views from a Desktop client installed on the server.

However, when I try to connect from my workstation I get the errors:

Could not connect to the server;

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

[IP Address:8060]

Unable to connect to the server "IP Address". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

Unable to connect to the server. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

When I ping the server from my workstation I get expected response times but I cannot access the database.

I checked the "C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\config\connections.yml" and my configuration is to use Port 8060, which is working from the server.

I have already reviewed the below articles and would appreciate any tips on troubleshooting this error so as to avoid doing all admin view development on the server itself.

Connecting to the Tableau Server Database

http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/current/server/en-us/help.htm#adminview_postgres.htm

How to analyse the Tableau Server database - The Information Lab

Finding your Tableau Server PostgreSQL database port | Ben Sullins | Data Geek

Thanks much in advance!
      Leigh