1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 8, 2014 5:08 PM by Noah Salvaterra

Can I adjust ranges on independent axes?

Bill Collins

The four possible options for an axis range seem to be 1) automatic, 2) uniform, 3) independent, and 4) fixed.

I was originally using independent, which shows variation across groups the best. This helps me to monitor the data best, but I don't think it will work for management. Here's why: one of my categories has a much smaller range (2 percentage points vs. 10 percentage points for the category with the largest range). At a quick glance, this causes variation in the metric to look much more drastic in the group with the smaller range. If I instead use uniform, I now have a 20 point spread across all categories, and it's harder to see the variation at all.

Is there a way to set the range independently? For instance, I could show a 10 pt. range for each category, but I would have that range centered (automatically or even manually) at that category's mean value.

• 1. Re: Can I adjust ranges on independent axes?
          Noah Salvaterra

I've struggled with some similar issues. One trick I know to get ranges where you want them is to use reference lines. An automatic range will always display reference lines, even when those lines are invisible! Reference lines can create a line or shading, if neither of these are selected you don't see them, but they are still there. I created a parameter for the window range and then calculated fields for the overall mean and the overall mean + and - that parameter (for the top and bottom of the desired window). If you pick a really big range, this may do the trick, but if you're wanting to make things visible there is likely to be a point or two that falls outside your desired axis ranges. This will mess the range up, because automatic axes will also display all the points on your graph. To deal with this, I made one more calculation, a capped version of the original measure that stays within the lines. I use for display purposes only (recall the mean for example is based on the original measure) and these would have been cutoff by manually selecting axes to too small to contain them. Slope on either side of these points will suffer a bit compared to allowing the points to go out of view, but hopefully it works for your purposes.

Close enough to make management happy?

If that doesn't work you could always print on really big paper! Seriously, once you figure out how to load 18x12 paper into the printer it is really hard to go back. There is a poster printer at work that I sometimes take a long look at too, I'm not sure showing up at meetings with an armful of 6 foot scrolls might not be the best career move.