4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2014 9:59 AM by Jules Dionne

Changing/Removing trusted ips

Carlos Albuquerque

I was unable to find an answer to this question, so forgive me in the event this is duplicate.

I know we are able to add as many trusted ip's as desired when building the trusted authentication method. My question is, are we able to remove/change any of those entries that have already been added, in case of a mistype or any other issues? I was not able to find anything covering this matter on the documentation and knowledge base.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Changing/Removing trusted ips
          Travis Boyle

any tabadmin command can be run with a -d, to reset default.  You could note the addresses already in place, run tabadmin set wgserver.trusted_hosts  -d to clear the entries (default is empty), then re-add the valid entries.

• 2. Re: Changing/Removing trusted ips
            Carlos Albuquerque

Thank you Travis.

One last question, is it possible to view the existing ip's that have already been entered?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Changing/Removing trusted ips
              Travis Boyle

warning - this is not supported, and Tableau Support will glare at you if you even mention it...

That said, the tabadmin set values are written to a temporary .yml file:

.\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\config\tabsvc.yml

Then when you run the tabadmin config command, this temp file is parsed and the appropriate .yml is written to for each entry.  wgserver.trusted_hosts should be in

.\programdata\tableau\tableau server\data\tabsvc\config\workgroup.yml

Do NOT (important...really...) edit these files. 

Unless the entry is exactly right, and there is no documentation on formatting, your tableau service will not start.  Always make changes via the tabadmin set command, but know that you can verify these settings by reading the .yml files.

EDIT: adding the much safer way to browse your .yml files...

run tabadmin ziplogs to make a backup of your logs and config files.  all of the .yml files, including workgroup.yml are contained in the .zip.  These copies are no longer in use by the server, so accidental changes will not break your server installation.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Changing/Removing trusted ips
                Jules Dionne

Similar question...

Can I add a combination of IPs and host names?  Can it be done in one command?  It seems the second command overwrites the first one.

i.e.: tabadmin set wgserver.trusted_hosts "192.168.1.101, webserv1"

Or do I need to issue a seperate command for reach?

tabadmin set wgserver.trusted_hosts "192.168.1.101" and

tabadmin set wgserver.trusted_hosts "webserv1"

Thanks for the answers.