2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2014 1:01 PM by Matt Lutton

How do I include only certain values in a quick filter on the dashboard?

Alex Lopez

I have a field called "Consolidation" with values of either "True" or "False." These values would pertain to let's say Projects. When I bring up the quick filter on the Dashboard I get the options of "All", "True", and "False." I only want to display "All" and "False" as options for users in this filter. In addition, I'd like to change the name of "All" to "Include" and "False" to "Exclude." Any ideas?

• 1. Re: How do I include only certain values in a quick filter on the dashboard?
          KK Molugu

Alex:

Without the workbook attached, let me take a shot at this;

- Create a Parameter Include-Exclude with two values

Value         Display As

Include      Include

Exclude    Exclude

- Create a calc. field C1

if [Consolidation] = "False" then "Include" end

- Create another calc. field called Selection

[C1] = [Include-Exclude]

- Drag the Selection calc. to filter and select all

- Now Show Parameter Control - Include-Exclude

By changing the values in Parm control, you should be able to get what you want. If this does not help, attaching a workbook (.twbx) would be helpful for the forum members to give you a solution

..kk

• 2. Re: How do I include only certain values in a quick filter on the dashboard?
            Matt Lutton

The 'ALL' value cannot be changed in a default quick filter, but based on your description, I imagine what you really want is to change "True" to "Include" and "False" to "Exclude"--right?  If you only have the False value and "All", they will both return the same data.

To only show True and False, you can simply pull the options down on the quick filter, and choose "Customize">>De-select "Show All Value"

Then, you can simply alias the True to "Include" and False to "Exclude".

If this isn't what you want, a Parameter is always a good way to limit user choices.

Additionally, a common technique of using a duplicated field to limit quick filter options is reviewed here:

http://reports4u.co.uk/tableau-hide-values-quick-filter/