6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 7:51 AM by Mary Brauch

Dual axis reference line label

David Marrel

I've created a lollipop graph that I like (see the attached).  I've synched the axes, hidden the header, and added a reference line.  So far so good.

My problem is with the reference line label.  I assume because it's a dual axis, the label is showing for both axes.  That is redundant and is cluttering up my viz.

So can one of the labels either be hidden or at least formatted where it's not visible?  No matter what I've tried so far, any action I've taken has applied to both labels. 

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Dual axis reference line label
          Matt Lutton

Yes, it is because of the dual axis--I'm not sure if there's any easy way to remove the duplicate.

In this screenshot, I've created a calculated field that is an empty string: "", and placed that on a sheet, removed all borders from both sheets (if I didn't do this, the blank sheet would cross the borders and it just didn't look good), then placed the blank sheet (floating) over the duplicated value (both sheets on a dashboard).  Not exactly a great workaround, but it works:

Untitled.png

In the future, please mention what version of Tableau you are using, so we can try to keep workbooks consistent inside threads.  I did this in version 8.1, so won't post it unless you can open 8.1 files as well (you can install multiple versions on your machine)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dual axis reference line label
            David Marrel

That's a very creative solution Matthew, but I'm not sure it will work in this situation because the axis won't be static.  Depending on the filters, the data may be very small or very large, causing the reference line to move as the axis adjusts.  If I was doing something like % of totals, that would work.

Per your request, the original file posted was in 8.0. (I get annoyed with the difficulty of trying to grab resizing handles for text tables in 8.1)  I have multiple versions installed on my computer so opening the file is not a problem.

Matthew Lutton wrote:

Yes, it is because of the dual axis--I'm not sure if there's any easy way to remove the duplicate.

In this screenshot, I've created a calculated field that is an empty string: "", and placed that on a sheet, removed all borders from both sheets (if I didn't do this, the blank sheet would cross the borders and it just didn't look good), then placed the blank sheet (floating) over the duplicated value (both sheets on a dashboard).  Not exactly a great workaround, but it works:

Untitled.png

In the future, please mention what version of Tableau you are using, so we can try to keep workbooks consistent inside threads.  I did this in version 8.1, so won't post it unless you can open 8.1 files as well (you can install multiple versions on your machine)

• 3. Re: Dual axis reference line label
              Matt Lutton

I understand; wish I had another option for you.  Maybe someone else will--I wasn't aware of this consequence of using a Dual Axis, so if nothing else, you taught me something new!

If anyone's interested, I'm attaching the 8.1 workbook.

• 4. Re: Dual axis reference line label
                Ville Tyrväinen

This is old one but can't you just format reference line?

c1.png

• 5. Re: Dual axis reference line label
                  Tanner Nevill

Just ran into the same problem; here is a simple workaround. 

Go into 'Format Reference Line' and change the alignment of the reference line label to whatever you want (left, right, or center).  This seems to force the two labels to get stacked so it only looks like a single label. 

(I'm in Tableau 9)

9 of 10 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Dual axis reference line label
                    Mary Brauch

Thanks Tanner - this worked for me.