3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 8:29 AM by Toby Erkson

Consolidated list of log files to look at for trouble-shooting?

Toby Erkson

Does someone have a list of all the logs files & their location to look at depending on the trouble-shooting involved?  I'm looking for a single, consolidated list that would basically say, "if you want to figure out why process XXX failed then look at the following logs:".

There are a number of log files and it can be confusing trying to figure out which ones should be used.

• 1. Re: Consolidated list of log files to look at for trouble-shooting?
          Russell Christopher

Hey Toby -

No such animal out there for the general public. I think there is something available for internal Tableau folks, but even it doesn't give you the sort of guidance that I think you're really looking for.

And let's be honest - we have more log files than politicans have excuses. Even if you had a list, it would be sorta painful to navigate all over the place in search of the right one with the right error at the right time, etc. etc.

My FAVORITE tool to do any sort of work with logs is (free!) Agent Ransack. Regardless of whether you're looking for an error, the use of a field in a query that just executed, or the value of a particular server setting, this sucker can find it for you, fast:

ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 17 12.09.gif

I've gotten to the point where I don't even really try to remember where stuff on the file system is anymore, I just plug in the string I'm looking for, point to data\tabsvc, and let Agent Ransack rip...

Now, if I HAD to mention a specific location that tends to be useful from a log standpoint, it'd be:

\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Logs

Most of the stuff that goes wrong from a rendering / querying point of view ends up getting logged in here...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Consolidated list of log files to look at for trouble-shooting?
            Toby Erkson

Good Golly Miss Molly, that program is freakin' awesome!  Thanks Russell, I'm using right now and it's fast.  I may need to pay for the pro version and add it to my tool kit.

• 3. Re: Consolidated list of log files to look at for trouble-shooting?
              Toby Erkson

I agree, the number of log files and their various locations is annoying from an end user point of view.  I'm sure it makes logical sense for the development folks but