1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 10:01 AM by Jake Guthrie

I need to create a calculated field that is a percentage of another column

Jake Guthrie

Hi guys,

Pretty new to Tableau, but I like what I've been able to do so far.  Here's my current problem:

I have created a table that shows retention of users over time.  It has their entry month down the side, then the number of how many stay active going forward each month.  This is great, and it worked exactly how I wanted it to, but now I want basically the exact same view, except instead of numbers, it should show a percentage of how many stay active in the months after joining.  So for example if Entry Month 12 - 01 shows something like 10, 7, 5, 3, 1 this other view would show 100%, 70%, 50%, 30%, 10%. 

The problem seems simple enough (at least for me to crank it out by hand) but I can't figure out how to make a calculated field to get the percentage based on that entry month's total.

User_Retention.PNG.png

Sorry if this is an overly simple question, I couldn't figure it out so far though, any help is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: I need to create a calculated field that is a percentage of another column
          Jake Guthrie

The closest I've come is creating a parameter for the initial value of an entry month, and then a calculated field to show the percentage compared to that number.  So it gets that one month right, but I don't know how to get that to work for each individual month.  So the detail it shows is wrong for every month except the one.  I could make these calculated fields for every month, but then how would I get each one to be displayed for the correct row on my table?

Screenshot:Parameter for 1 entry month.PNG.png