3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 9:19 AM by Joshua Milligan

A shared data source across multiple workbooks?

Alex Riffle

Hello.

I have one large data source (an Access database running as an extract) that I need to create many many complicated worksheets and dashboards from. I'm keeping each workbook to one or two dashboards for performance reasons. But I have a ton of calculated fields etc that I would like to have available across multiple workbooks. Right now, I'm just going by the ol' copy/paste.

Is there a smoother way?

It would awesome if I could just have one datasource that stays current and that I can hook into with multiple workbooks. Is this possible?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: A shared data source across multiple workbooks?
          Joshua Milligan

Alex,

There are a couple of options along these lines:

1. If you are using Tableau Server, you can publish a data connection and then reuse it in different workbooks.  I'm guessing you are probably looking for a Desktop Option, so...
          2. In Tableau Desktop, select your data connection (right click or from the menu "Data" --> Your Connection , then select "Add to Saved Data Sources."  The file you save (.tds -- Tableau Data Source) will contain all the metadata (field names, calculations, etc...)  These saved connections will show up on the "Connect to Data" screen when you first open Tableau and you can reuse them.

Just remember, every new workbook is using its own copy of the connection, so any changes you make (new calculations, etc...) will need to be saved again (overwrite the .tds file) and any workbooks using the connections will need to be updated -- so a little more manual than the Tableau Server options.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Joshua

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: A shared data source across multiple workbooks?
            Alex Riffle

Thanks so much Joshua! Someday we'll need to step up to Server. But for now, the saved .tds will work fine. Thanks again!

• 3. Re: A shared data source across multiple workbooks?
              Joshua Milligan

Glad to help, Alex!  You're welcome!

-Joshua