5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 9:27 AM by Aaron Clancy

Tableau Server with Desktop License

Michal Lewandowski

Hi Guys, I have a question regarding Tableau Server. Is there a way for a publisher to see how a dashboard is going to look on the server without having a server license? 

• 1. Re: Tableau Server with Desktop License
          Aaron Clancy

I'm a little confused by the question and could probably use a use case to understand why this would ever be necessary.

If you publish it to Tableau public that can give you an idea of what if will look but you'd have to make sure there was no sensitive data on your dashboard.

Do you have an installation of Tableau Server you are currently using and just want to restrict publisher's access to it?

• 2. Re: Tableau Server with Desktop License
            Michal Lewandowski

I am not publishing reports on Tableau Public, but only on a corporate server. The limitation is that with Tableau Desktop license I can only publish a report but I am unable to open it and see how it looks in the browser (there are some differences). Probably there is no other solution than just have a Tableau Server license...

• 3. Re: Tableau Server with Desktop License
              Aaron Clancy

You can't publish reports without a server license.

• 4. Re: Tableau Server with Desktop License
                Dan Huff

Actually, Aaron, you can. Unlicensed users can have publish rights. As Michal sates, however, they will not be able to see their results on the server itself.

This is by design Michal. The only solution is to have a Server license. You could, however, have one person who is designated to review the published workbooks and notify your publishers of issues that may appear after publishing. This way your publishers will actually know if there was an issue.

Dan

• 5. Re: Tableau Server with Desktop License
                  Aaron Clancy

Ah guess I never tested that.  My apologies, but it is a little counter intuitive for the very reason Michael stated.  Why would someone be able to publish content that they can't consume?  I realize it all comes down to licensing dollars but in my mind it should be one or the other.  1. Not allow unlicensed users to publish  or 2.  Allow non-licensed users to view only their own content for troubleshooting.