6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2014 12:01 AM by Hendrik Ewe

Path Shelf with generated geo coordinates

Hendrik Ewe

Hello,

I try to visualize from-to transportation on a map with the help of the path shelf.

The example in the knowledge base works fine. But as soon as I use coordinates generated from my address data the proposed procedure fails. All I get is a blank world map. If I right-click the world map and click "show data", all generated coordinates are null. If I then add the postal code dimension to the details shelf, I see circles, but now lines. The data then looks good:

Country PathID    PathOrder Postal Code  Latitude (generated) Longitude (generated)

US      Path 77   2         53244        43,2839              -83,4517

US      Path 77   1         43106        42,5121              -80,3335

I alread found this thread where someone seems to have the same problem and writes:

Somehow, I got it working.  I basically started over from scratch by selecting Lat, Long, and ZIP then clicking Show Me.  Tableau then built my map.  I added PathID to my level of detail and voila - the lines were there.

But this does not work for me either. Same thing, blank world map.

Do you have any ideas what could be the reason?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Path Shelf with generated geo coordinates
          Shawn Wallwork

Hendrik if you post a sample packaged workbook (or some data) I'll be happy to take a look and help you work this out.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Path Shelf with generated geo coordinates
            Hendrik Ewe

Hi Shawn,

thanks, this is very much appreciated.

Before I can do that I'll have to change the data, though, as I'm not sure if it is confidential.

I'll do that beginnnig of next week.

Thanks for now,

Hendrik.

• 3. Re: Path Shelf with generated geo coordinates
              Hendrik Ewe

Ok, I added a minimum example in my original post. I tried the setup just as described in

"Using the Path Shelf for From - To Pattern Analysis".

• 4. Re: Path Shelf with generated geo coordinates
                Shawn Wallwork

Hendrik, first welcome to the forums!

If you notice in the KB article they were not using the lat/long fields that Tableau generates:

Latitude (generated)

Longitude (generated)

They were using lat/long fields from the data source. This path technique doesn't work if you put the ZIPs in play. To generate the attached workbook I did these steps:

1. Created a map using your Country & ZIP fields
                2. Right-Clicked the map and copy/pasted the results in an Excel file
                3. In the Excel file I deleted the "(generated)" from the Lat/Long headers (so as not to confuse Tableau, and me)
                4. Then copied the sheet to the clipboard
                5. Pasted (CTRL-V) it into Tableau (this is a little known, quick way to get data into Tableau).
                6. I dragged the new Latitude & Longitude fields from the Measures data window to the Dimensions data window
                7. Then I set up the map per the KB article, making sure to use the new lat/long fields.

Here are the results:

Path Map.jpg

Some other notes:

• If you change 'Name' to 'City' then Tableau will recognize it and automatically assign it the correct geography, and put it into the Country/City hierarchy.
                • Tableau does not 'recognize' small towns; meaning Tableau's generated lat/longs will show these as 'Unknown'. (The limit is 16K or 20K population, I can never remember which; and it may be different in countries other than the US.)
                • Eventually you'll need to upgrade to 8.1 to participate in the forums, because fewer people will be able to post 8.0 workbooks in response to your questions. I usually keep the current and last version, so when 8.2 comes out I'll delete 8.0.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions about this.

--Shawn

Hope this helps

• 5. Re: Path Shelf with generated geo coordinates
                  Shawn Wallwork

Hendrik, I just added the attachment.

--Shawn

• 6. Re: Path Shelf with generated geo coordinates
                    Hendrik Ewe

Hi Shawn,

thanks a lot for getting this to work and also for your other hints.

To be honest, I find it quite disappointing that Tableau cannot manage to draw some source/destination lines based on generated coordinates...that's definitely something they should work on.

But thank you again and have a nice week,

Hendrik.