4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 1:13 PM by Prachi Priya

Switching between two measures on one map

Prachi Priya

I have created a map that shows total members per company/group on a US map, based on what we choose from the quick filter. It works fine. I would now like to choose one measure on the map: either Ttl or ttl share. For that, I created a parameter that selects one of the two. Based on what I read on forums here,  I also created a field called: ‘choose parameter’ and put this code there:

CASE [Placeholder 1 Selector]

WHEN "Total " THEN [Ttl]

WHEN " Share" THEN [ttl share]

END

But it doesn’t work. Could someone please help? would really appreciate it. I have attached the sheet here. Also, is there a better way of showing the  numbers on the map? I use basic’ Mark label’ but it doesn’t always work.

• 1. Re: Switching between two measures on one map
          Joshua Milligan

Prachi,

In your calculation, you have a couple of spaces in the string (one after Total and another before Share).  That is preventing a match on the value selected in the parameter.

It also looks like you are labeling the map with the [Ttl] field.  Try replacing that with your [Choose Parameter] calculated field and then you'll see a change when you change the parameter.

Hopefully that helps!

Regards,

Joshua

0.png

• 2. Re: Switching between two measures on one map
            Prachi Priya

Thanks so much for your reply Joshua, that worked. Now I can toggle between the two parameters. The only glitch is I see market share as a number with decimals(.4477). Is there a way I can show the market share as %? That's how I have it in the data.

• 3. Re: Switching between two measures on one map
              Joshua Milligan

Prachi,

In Tableau, you can assign a single format to a given field.  There is no way to dynamically switch the formatting.

I have seen the following as a workaround:

Update your calculation so that one of the measures is negative.

CASE [Placeholder 1 Selector]

WHEN "Total " THEN [Ttl]

WHEN " Share" THEN -[ttl share]

END

Then, you can right click the calculated field, select Default Properties --> Number Format and apply a custom format.  Here you'll give a custom format string and you have an option of defining different formats for positive versus negative.  So you could input a format string like:

#,###;0%

Where the positive number (Ttl) will be formatted like a whole number and the "negative" number will show as a percent (without a negative sign, because that would have been #,###;-0%).

Regards,

Joshua

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Switching between two measures on one map
                Prachi Priya

That was a brilliant workaround Joshua, it worked! Thanks so much!