5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 1:08 PM by Dan Huff

Axis to show the Min and Max dates with bars showing the duration

Sassan Athari

Hello,

I have 2 date fields (Start and end dates) and what I'm trying to achieve is an axis to show the Min and Max dates on the range of dates and then the bars to show the duration for each project (calculated field difference between the start and end ) to be shown like a time line. I hope the picture below helps clarify what I'm trying to do:

Untitled.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance.

• 1. Re: Axis to show the Min and Max dates with bars showing the duration
          John Sobczak

Sassan,

It always helps to provide a mock-up workbook example attachment.  You will get this advice often when you post questions on here.  Having said that and knowing just a little about your challenge, you might consider "reshaping" your two date fields into ONE date field with added column for start or end attribute. You can then use the date field on the column shelf and it will provide you the max and min axis range.  I do this all the time for my start and end date columns.  Tableau has a reshape tool for Excel.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Re: Axis to show the Min and Max dates with bars showing the duration
            Sassan Athari

John,

Thanks for the information and advice. I have attached the workbook and the underlying Excel sheet. I also have the Tableau excel add-in installed. i'd appreciate if you have a look and let me know how you think I should reshape the data in excel using the add-in. Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: Re: Re: Axis to show the Min and Max dates with bars showing the duration
              Dan Huff

Here is a start. I would not suggest altering the axis to only show min and max values as this would make the chart very hard to understand. As a user, I would not know an approximate time of when a project started just by looking at the graph; I would have to use a tooltip.

This is especially problematic if you export an image or PDF of the view. The user will have absolutely no idea what the graph is showing and they obviously wont have a tooltip to tell them.

It is always best, in my opinion, to make sure that users can understand any chart whether it is dynamic or a static image. Altering the axis labels dramatically usually breaks the static case.

Dan

• 4. Re: Axis to show the Min and Max dates with bars showing the duration
                Sassan Athari

Thank you Dan. This is exactly what I'm looking for. The only other challenge I have now is I want to know if there's a way to have only ONE timeline for each project while preserving the list of resources as they are (as opposed to timeline being repeated in each row of resources). I know the way it is now is because of the way the information is arranged in the underlying Excel sheet. However, I think it would make the chart look much neater if I can accomplish this as well. My apologies in advance if I'm adding to my initial request but this came to me just after I posted it. Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Re: Axis to show the Min and Max dates with bars showing the duration
                  Dan Huff

You could do something like the following. I added two sheets to a dashboard. If you hover over a project in the top sheet then you will see a list of Resources below. I have done this via Dashboard --> Actions in the toolbar menu.

I have also changed the aggregation to AVG to show the AVG duration for the project as I was not sure if you wanted an AVG time spent or a SUM of all the time the resources spent on the project. If you use SUM without Resource in the view, it blows the axis out severely as now instead of a project appearing to take 191 days it looks like it took 191 * Number of Resources days.

I hope this helps,

Dan