8 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2015 5:20 PM by Jay Guidos

Server did not call us back error using the MakeOrder.java demo on Linux

Ruixin Yang

Hi, I am fairly new to the Tableau Data Extract API and am trying to get it to work on a Linux machine.  I downloaded the necessary files and followed the instructions at Tableau Data Extract API.  However, after running MakeOrder, I encounter the following error:

com.tableausoftware.TableauException: server did not call us back

at com.tableausoftware.DataExtract.Extract.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.tableausoftware.demos.MakeOrder.main(MakeOrder.java:68)

I have already set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the tableau lib folder.  I have a feeling I should be specifying the bin folder containing tdeserver64 somewhere.  Can anyone guide to what I am doing wrong?  Thank you.

• 1. Re: Server did not call us back error using the MakeOrder.java demo on Linux
          Ruixin Yang

Additional Information from DataExtract.log

2014-01-14 15:35:25.176 (139729435277120): Machine Configuration

2014-01-14 15:35:25.176 (139729435277120):   Max Descriptors: 262144

2014-01-14 15:35:25.177 (139729435277120): tdeserver: error (Host not found (authoritative)

2014-01-14 15:35:25.177 (139729435277120):  - IPC_Network::Resolve(hostname="::1"))

2014-01-14 15:35:25.177 (139729435277120): tdeserver: exit (-1)

Following the Python tutorial Extract API Introduction | Tableau Software gave the same problem and error log.

• 2. Re: Server did not call us back error using the MakeOrder.java demo on Linux
            Lee Graber

Hi Ruixin,

Sorry you have hit this problem. Can you check where tdeserver64 is? We try to load from these relative paths:

(1) $PATH_TO_CURRENTLY_EXECUTING_LIBRARY/../bin

(2) $PATH_TO_CURRENT_EXECUTABLE

(2) Search regular environment variable $PATH

obviously this should just work out of the box for our examples. You could try updating PATH or move the binary to something already in PATH (ie usr/local/bin as an example). In the next release we will hopefully ship an installer (rpm or deb) which will lay things out as needed (no promises) (along with providing an optional tar) but I am surprised the examples are not working out-of-box. Please let me know if anything changed about your layout.

• 3. Re: Server did not call us back error using the MakeOrder.java demo on Linux
              Ruixin Yang

Hi Lee,

I am still running into the same problem.  I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to home/username/Tableau/lib and the libraries load properly.  However, it still could not connect to the server despite satisfying (1) /../bin.

I also tried the following, each independently:

(2) Setting another Environment variable PATH = home/username/Tableau/bin

(3) Setting $PATH to include home/username/Tableau/bin

(4) Moving tdeserver64 to the lib folder

But still the same error is generated.  Sorry for the trouble, but do you have any other recommendations?

• 4. Re: Server did not call us back error using the MakeOrder.java demo on Linux
                Lee Graber

Hi Ruxin,

Sorry I didn't get to try today but I will take another look tonight and see if I can simulate your behavior. Another alternative might be to try putting (the file or a symlink to it) tdeserver64 in your /usr/local/bin64 directory. Again, this should work without you having to move everything around and setting PATH should have fixed it but in the event that the path variable isn't making it all the way, then usr/local/bin64 should be in your PATH always so that can be another test.

So I make sure I take a look at the same bits as you, where / when did you get the api bits from.

Thanks

Lee

• 5. Re: Server did not call us back error using the MakeOrder.java demo on Linux
                  Lee Graber

I thought of another thing to check. Does it work if you just try to launch tdeserver64 from the shell? Perhaps it is not that it can't find the server, but that the server failed when launching. If that fails, ldd might show us what is failing. Also, what version of Linux are you running all of this on.

Thanks
                  Lee

• 6. Re: Server did not call us back error using the MakeOrder.java demo on Linux
                    Ruixin Yang

Thanks for your responses Lee. 

Moving the server to usr/local/bin did not resolve the problem.  I downloaded API on Jan. 12th from Get the Data Extract API | Tableau Software.  Running tdeserver64 from shell gives the following error:

tdeserver64: error while loading shared libraries: libicudata.so.50: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But, I do not think this is a problem when I run from eclipse because I have specified the library path.

I am running this on Ubuntu 12.04.

• 7. Re: Server did not call us back error using the MakeOrder.java demo on Linux
                      sumesh BABU

I got the same problem

"Server did not call us back error using the MakeOrder.java demo on Linux".

I spent a lot of time to resolve the issue. Initailly I thought that it was a problem with lib or bin path. So I moved the files between different different folders.

But when I tried your suggestion

"Does it work if you just try to launch tdeserver64 from the shell?"

I got permission denied error.

I realized that it was permission issue, and the execute permission was not there for the tdeserver64 file.

I set that permission, now its working fine,

Thanks Lee for your suggestion

• 8. Re: Server did not call us back error using the MakeOrder.java demo on Linux
                        Jay Guidos

I have exactly the same problem, but none of the suggested work arounds or fixes work.  I can launch the tdeserver64 process from the command line without issues, but the sample program still reports:

run:

[java] com.tableausoftware.TableauException: server did not call us back

[java] at com.tableausoftware.DataExtract.Extract.<init>(Unknown Source)

[java] at com.tableausoftware.demos.MakeOrder.main(Unknown Source)

[java] com.tableausoftware.TableauException: server did not call us back

[java] at com.tableausoftware.DataExtract.Extract.<init>(Unknown Source)

[java] at com.tableausoftware.demos.MakeOrder.main(Unknown Source)