5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2014 9:33 AM by Desiree Koh

Subscribe only appears for some users

Jason Wilson

I have read through the documentation/ subscription checklist, and everything appears to be configured correctly.  The icon appears for some user but not others on the same view/report with the same permissions and licensing level of Interactor.

My server is configured for trusted tickets as well due to integration with another website as well for certain reports.  Running version 8.0 of server.

Jason

• 1. Re: Subscribe only appears for some users
          Matt Lutton

I was just reading:

Manage Subscriptions

And found this:

Requirements

For Tableau Server users to receive subscriptions, the following things need to be in place:

• Email settings configuration: As the system administrator, you configure the basic SMTP server settings for subscriptions on the Alerts and Subscriptions tab in the Configuration dialog box, which displays during Setup. This is the "from account" Tableau Server uses to email subscriptions to server users. You can access this tab after Setup as well. See Reconfigure the Server and Configure Email Subscriptions for steps.
          • Credentials embedded or not required: From Tableau Server's perspective, a subscription includes a workbook, data, and a schedule. To deliver the data piece, Tableau Server needs to be able to access the data with no end-user involvement. This can be accomplished by using either a workbook with embedded database credentials, a Tableau Server data source, or by using data that doesn't require credentials, such as a file that's included with the workbook at publish time. Workbooks that prompt for credentials for live database connections can't be subscribed to.
          • User requirements: If a user can see a view or workbook onTableau Server and it has the subscription icon () in the upper right corner, he or she can subscribe to it. The ability to see a view or workbook is controlled by the View permission. A user must also have an email address. If Tableau Server doesn't already have an email address for a subscribing user, it prompts for one at subscription sign-up time. Users can change their delivery options, unsubscribe, or update their email address on their User Preferences page.
          • No trusted authentication: If Tableau Server is configured for trusted authentication, subscriptions are disabled. Trusted authentication, in combination with Tableau's Local Authentication, creates a "sign-in free" yet authenticated experience for end-users. To create this same experience and use subscriptions
          • 2. Re: Subscribe only appears for some users
            Jason Wilson

Thanks Matt.  I found that, but it still seems to work for some users.  Was wondering why that is and how I can get it to work for all users.  active directory is not really an option as the client is primarily a Mac shop and does not really use AD.

• 3. Re: Subscribe only appears for some users
              Matt Lutton

Did you note this requirement?

Credentials embedded or not required: From Tableau Server's perspective, a subscription includes a workbook, data, and a schedule. To deliver the data piece, Tableau Server needs to be able to access the data with no end-user involvement. This can be accomplished by using either a workbook with embedded database credentials, a Tableau Server data source, or by using data that doesn't require credentials, such as a file that's included with the workbook at publish time. Workbooks that prompt for credentials for live database connections can't be subscribed to.

• 4. Re: Subscribe only appears for some users
                Jason Wilson

I did.  They are all embedded.  All users can click and run the report\view without being prompted for credentials.

• 5. Re: Subscribe only appears for some users
                  Desiree Koh

Jason, were you able to figure this out? I am seeing the same thing.