1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 9:18 AM by Toby Erkson

Best Practices for managing Data Sources published to Tableau Server

David Biehl

We are new customers of Tableau and I was hoping to understand any best practices regarding Data Sources that have been published to Tableau Server. More specifically how to manage changes to the Data Source over time. It is my understanding that I can modify my original local copy of the data source and republish any changes to the server and thereby overwrite the data source on the server.

• How does that affect workbooks that already depend on the published data source?
      • Can others also make changes to the server data source and publish those for all to use?
      • What practices or polices have more experienced customers used to manage changes to a Data Source in their organizations?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Best Practices for managing Data Sources published to Tableau Server
          Toby Erkson

David Biehl wrote:

1. How does that affect workbooks that already depend on the published data source?
            2. Can others also make changes to the server data source and publish those for all to use?
            3. What practices or polices have more experienced customers used to manage changes to a Data Source in their organizations?

1.  Depends.  For example, if you remove a column that a report is using it would cause issues.

2.  Yes, if they have permission to do so.