1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 2:12 PM by Matt Lutton

How do I create independent columns as a specific calculated field?

Christopher Garcia

I'm trying to create a report that's numbers only, no visuals, with a simple, independent difference column at the end (as a starting step for the entire report). Ideally I'd like to create something on par with the attached file. So far I've only been able to get tableau to create a difference column (B-A) for every single month such that instead of just Sept - Aug, I get Sept - Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, etc.

Creating a calculated field and dragging it in as a column also creates a visual where I only need numbers.

This normally takes less than a minute in excel but so far no luck with tableau -- Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: How do I create independent columns as a specific calculated field?
          Matt Lutton

This sounds like its all very doable in Tableau.  A lot depends on the structure of your raw data--can you post some sample data in a packaged workbook (,twbx), along with what you've already tried so we can visually see the data and interact with it?  Posting a workbook with some sample data will ensure you get the best help possible on this forum.  You could utilize the sample data sets provided by Tableau to create an example scenario that matches this, as well, if your production data is too sensitive to post.

Cheers.