1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 22, 2013 1:47 PM by Andrew Ball

"Measure Names / Measure Values" quick filter values population based on relevant values?

Dharmesh Purohit

Hi all,

I have "MeasureName" as quick filter and my MeasureNames has only calculated field in my drop-down. I also have one more drop-down with the different Regions. I want to populate MeasureNames drop-down with the relevant values which is specific to selected region in Region drop-down.

Keep in mind since I am using MeasureNames as quick filter I don't have option like "Only relevant values" and all the MeasureNames are basically columns / calculated field in Measures panel located in left side. I will have to implement some logic that do so.

Can anybody help me out how to achieve this kind of functionality in Tableau.

- Dharmesh

• 1. Re: "Measure Names / Measure Values" quick filter values population based on relevant values?
          Andrew Ball

Hi Dharmesh,

I think there is some misunderstanding here on what the MeasureName field is doing. All it contains is a list of the Measures that you see in the data source part of the design window (excluding MeasureValues and generated Long/Lat fields). This means that if you only have one Measure, your calculated field, that is all you will see.

The MeasureNames does not have "Only Relevant Values" because it is looking at columns, not rows, in your data. The columns are always present, just not always used, so there is no such concept as "relevant" columns.

What are you wanting to show in the Measure Names?

When you choose a Region, what are you wanting to see?

If you could post a mock-up, or even better, a packaged workbook, that would allow us to guide you further.

Andrew