7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2014 8:11 AM by Toby Erkson

Guest Permissions with Tableau 8.1

Randy Hockin

I understand that automatic login and enabling guest is now supported together with Tableau 8.1 but there is very little documentation on how Tableau behaves. I'm hoping someone can help.

We are considering upgrading our server to a core-based license and enabling guest access. We already have active directory implemented and automatic logon enabled.

Does anyone know...

• What happens if a Guest user account is found not in the Site User list? Is access denied or defaulted to something? Or does Tableau automatically add a Guest user account for each Site?
      • When a new guest is allowed access is a row created in the Site User table with a license level of guest?
      • Does Tableau automatically create a group called "Guests" at the Site, or Server level?
        • 1. Re: Guest Permissions with Tableau 8.1
          Russell Christopher

Hey Randy!

1. You should always see "Guest" in the Site User list as it is automatically added to ALL sites when enabled.
          2. I think you may be thinking about the "user" table and are wondering if we add new rows into it - one row per Guest/Site combination. Yes. We do.
          3. No. Guest is a user, not a Group. I guess you could create one, but it wouldn't be overly useful unless I'm missing something around how you'd use it.

HTH!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Guest Permissions with Tableau 8.1
            Ivan Monnier

Hello,

we do not have a core-based version of Tableau Server 8.1. Our server is connected to the company's LDAP.

I have been told though, that I could enable guest access with our version by selecting "Automatic logon" in the configuration, which I did.

What I don't find now is how to activate Guest access.

I read in the Tableau Server 8.1 admin guide (page 125 of the french version), that there is someting about that in the maintenance section, but I have nothing.

Would you have an idea?

Bets regards and Merry Christmas

• 3. Re: Guest Permissions with Tableau 8.1
              Randy Hockin

My understanding is that the Enable Guest access is only available with core licensing. We just upgraded to core licensing today after which Tableau Server automatically adds a "Guest" user to each Site.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Guest Permissions with Tableau 8.1
                Randy Hockin

We just upgraded to core licensing today. I think I am closer to having this figured out. I had erroneously thought that the Guest functionality, when combined with Automatic Login would allow ANY authenticated Activate Directory user to log in and assume the permissions we assigned to "Guest".

It turns out the feature simply allows users who access Tableau views via embedded links to be authenticated. The following is an excerpt from the Server Manual that best describes the functionality.

"The GUEST license level is available to allow users without an account on the server see and interact with an embedded view. When enabled, the user can load a webpage containing an embedded visualization without signing in. This option is only available with a core-based server."

What I am still struggling with is how to allow Guest users to access some views but not all. Does anyone know how to do this?

HTH.

• 5. Re: Guest Permissions with Tableau 8.1
                  Randy Hockin

Recently chatted with Tableau Support with regards to the issue of Tableau automatically adding "Guest" to the "All Users" group. This does not allow you to distinguish between users specifically authorized on the Site and those that are just guests.

The suggested approach is to set the default permission for the Project to allow "All Users" to view and to add a specific entry to Deny Guest from viewing. This in effect allows all users except guest to view workbooks. Publishers can then choose to allow Guest by adding it to their workbook specific permissions.

Seems like a reasonable approach however a simpler design of the functionality in Tableau would have make this easier (e.g. allow admins to removed Guest from All User group).

• 6. Re: Guest Permissions with Tableau 8.1
                    Toby Erkson

Randy Hockin wrote:

What I am still struggling with is how to allow Guest users to access some views but not all. Does anyone know how to do this?

HTH.

We don't have Guest access allowed so I can't quickly check but when you publish a workbook does it allow you to Add... the User/Group "Guest" in the View Permissions pane?  If so, authors could affect Guest permissions that way...a clunky work-around, I know.

• 7. Re: Guest Permissions with Tableau 8.1
                      Toby Erkson

Also, since you marked this thread as Answered you'll likely get less eyeballs on it so it might be best to mark it as Unanswered or, better yet, start a new thread about Guest access permissions.