4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2013 12:56 AM by mai.kikumori

How can I sort the title of data on Rows not alphabetically?

mai.kikumori

Hi, all.

When I read the Excel sheet,

each title of column data is arranged in an alphabetical order in View Data of Tableau.

Even if I arrange the titles in the order I like in the Excel file,

the data (and the titles) will be sorted automatically in alphabetical order in Tableau, after read that file.

For example, in Word Indicator as Sample Data of Tableau,

the Order of Data on Rows.png

as you see the quick filter on the bar graph ,

the titles of data are ordered on the quick filter as "Country",and in turn,"Region",

although  "Region" and "Subregion" are added on Rows shelf.

I want to display the order such as "Region", "Subregion", and then, " Conutry/Region" on the quick filter,

but, actually they are orderd alphabetically as " Conutry/Region" following "Region".

It is very difficult to use this in such situation.

I try to use ToolTip in order to solve my problem,

but it doesn't work out the whole drill-down if I don't drill down on Column data in sorting the order of Rows data.

How do I sort the order of data titles on only Rows and drill down successfully?

Your help would be much appreciated!!

Best Regards,

• 1. Re: How can I sort the title of data on Rows not alphabetically?
          Prashant Sharma

Hi Mai,

Are you talking about Hierarchies? Here is the link to create a hierarchy Creating a Hierarchy . Here you can manipulate the order of drill down in Tableau. Hope this may help !

Warm Regards,

Prashant Sharma - India | LinkedIn

• 2. Re: How can I sort the title of data on Rows not alphabetically?
            Ken Patton

I'm having a little trouble following where the problem is, but there are a couple things to check / do:

In the Data Window, at the Top of the Dimensions box, there is a small pulldown you can invoke to select "Sort By" and you can change that from alphabetical to Data Source Order.

You can always re-arrange the order of your Quick Filters shoving the pills and/or Show Quick Filters cards around.

You can always edit the ToolTip manually.  (Some specific versions of Tableau had bugs in tooltips but those are fixed so far as I know.)

Chances are fairly high that the VizQL queries in your Workbook are getting the results returned in alphabetical order and so they tend to display that way -- it would give the highest performance for an Excel data source.

• 3. Re: How can I sort the title of data on Rows not alphabetically?
              mai.kikumori

Hi, Prashant.

Thanks for your response, but I'm talking about the order of the data, not about the hierarchy.

By the way, the display order on Tips does not adapt the order of hierarchy if I create a hierarchy.the Order of Data.png

• 4. Re: How can I sort the title of data on Rows not alphabetically?
                mai.kikumori

Hi, Ken Patton.

Thanks for the tip. I understand that I can change Data Source Order, but I cannot manipulate the Data Source Order if the data has been already elaborated in the file.

You taught me about re-arranging the order of my Quick Filter, but this will not have an effect on the order the display order on Tips

It is useful arrange the order at my option because I often add or create the new dimension When I extract the data, the order is fixed automatically in alphabetical order and it does not keep to Data Source Order.

Especially in handling the large-scale data, extracting the data is useful, so I need to re-arrange the order at my option, not in alphabetical order or Data Source Order.

Your cooperation and advice is appreciated, for  my problem.

Best regards,